Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business, is seeking focused, positive, hard-working individuals to help expand the Maintenance Program for off-site, contracted green roofs and urban landscapes.
The Garden Manager is an aesthetically driven, hard working individual who can maintain Brooklyn Grange’s standards for landscaped indoor and outdoor installations. Responsibilities include carrying out varied gardening duties, including watering, pruning, soil cultivation, mulching, lawn maintenance, bed preparation, and planting. The Garden Manager is charged with the care of varied sites that include residential terraces, indoor green walls, commercial green roofs, and edible landscapes. Applicants should be comfortable working independently and must be prompt and clear when communicating with the Director of Design/Build, Head Gardener, Garden Managers of other sites, and crew members during larger maintenance days. Additionally, applicants should be able to keep organized systems in place, including impeccable workspaces and organized records of both tool and plant inventory, among other things. This position requires frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions as well as travel to multiple client gardens. At times, applicants will be required to respond to urgent correspondence both from clients, Director of Design/Build, and Head Gardener. Applicants must be adaptable to varied client needs, settings, and systems.
SCHEDULE: Maintenance schedule will consist of Monday through Friday, pre-scheduled work. Work will be Full Time with hours ranging from 35-40 hours per week, from March through November. Some work days can be expected to begin at 6:30AM.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on our roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities. All three of our departments—our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design Build arm—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, and delicious place to live.
- Maintenance of commercial sedum green roofs, meadow landscapes, container gardens, green walls, tree pits, edible landscapes, residential gardens
- Planning and administrative tasks related to clients and maintenance needs
- Uphold Brooklyn Grange’s standards during all client interactions and services
- Regular communication with department management and team
- Lead by example and help educate new crew members
- Is adaptable to a variety of clients and settings
- Has a NY State driver’s license
- Is positive, energetic, and has a strong work ethic
- Has experience and general knowledge of garden installation and maintenance
- Holds a strong sense of Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types
- Is punctual and responsible
- Is experienced in irrigation system management
- Has an understanding of indoor tropical plant care and maintenance
- Is respectful of client spaces
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Can lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan, health benefit, and Sick and Safe leave
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
Email email@example.com with the subject line “Garden Manager Job Application”
Include a cover letter and resume
Applications will be accepted through 2/24/2020
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.