Halsted Welles Associates is a well-established New York City garden design/build firm specializing in urban gardens. Based in Brooklyn, we are a multi-disciplinary team of architects, designers, engineers and horticulturists. We design, install and maintain high-end rooftop, terrace and townhouse gardens primarily in Manhattan.
An opportunity exists at HWA for a professional gardener with experience, knowledge and enthusiasm for plant culture. Our Supervisors manage multiple gardens, interface with clients, and lead garden crews through seasonal maintenance and installation activities. The candidate should have a high standard of presentation and show a talent and desire for inspired planting design.
- Maintaining the design intent and presentation established for each garden
- Planning and installing seasonal garden transitions throughout the year
- Knowing the cultural needs and identification of trees, shrubs, perennials native to the Northeast.
- Planting, transplanting, pruning, and maintaining trees and shrubs
- Identifying and treating garden pests and diseases
- Overseeing maintenance of garden hardscapes and systems, including irrigation and lighting
- Planning and managing new garden installations
- Establish protocols
- Education in Horticulture or related field or comparable experience
- Solid supervisory, project management, and organization skills
- Horticulture skill set that includes plant identification, pruning and managing plant health and growth, and knowledge of IPM practices
- A professional, positive attitude as both team leader and team member
- Must be able to carry a 50 lb. load up and down stairs
- Must show enthusiasm for working in all types of weather
- NY Pesticide Applicator Category 3A Certification
- Valid Driver License with excellent driving record
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.