Halsted Welles Associates is a well-established New York City landscape design firm specializing in residential urban gardens. We are a multidisciplinary team of architects, designers, engineers and horticulturists who design, install and maintain high-end rooftop, terrace and townhouse gardens primarily in Manhattan.
An opportunity exists in HWA for a professional Garden Supervisor with experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm for plant culture and the urban sustainable environment. Our Supervisors manage multiple gardens, interface with clients, and lead garden crews through seasonal horticultural/hardscape maintenance and planting activities. The candidate should have a high standard of presentation, show a talent for planting design, and developed horticulture skills.
- Supervise a diverse rotating gardening crew in a professional manner in the accomplishment of garden service tasks
- Use professional communication skills with superiors, crew, and clients
- Train crew on horticulture skills needed to maintain a garden such as planting, transplanting, pruning, and maintaining healthy trees and shrubs
- Utilize knowledge of the cultural and maintenance needs of ornamental trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals
- Oversee maintenance of garden hardscapes and systems, including irrigation and lighting
- Use composition, balance, color, and design in planning and planting seasonal garden transitions.
- Apply knowledge of plant nutrition, IPM, and disease in treating and maintaining the health of plants.
- Maintain the design intent and presentation established for each garden
- Comply with office workflow in a timely manner (i.e. timesheets, work orders, etc.)
- Education in Horticulture, environmental studies, or comparable experience
- Solid supervisory, project management, and organization skills (3+ years)
- Horticulture skill set that includes plant identification, managing plant health and growth, and knowledge of IPM practices
- Invested in ecologically sound urban horticulture
- A professional, positive attitude as both team leader and team member
- Preferred Experience:
- NY Pesticide Applicator Category 3A Certification
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume
Halsted Welles Associates