Riverside Park Conservancy
Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for a full time Garden Technician to work year-round
Great opportunity for someone looking to gain hands on horticultural experience
Riverside Park and the adjacent Riverside Park South, West Harlem Piers Park, and Fort Washington Park contain numerous entrance gardens, woodlands, scenic promenades, ballfields, cafes, and access to six miles of Hudson River waterfront. Riverside Park, one of New York City’s premier waterfront parks, is a Scenic Landmark originally designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.
The Riverside Park Conservancy works in partnership with the City of New York to help restore and maintain the park’s natural areas and gardens by providing full time paid field staff, equipment, and supplies. Since its founding Riverside Park Conservancy has had one of New York City’s largest Park volunteer programs.
o 1 year of experience (including volunteer and internship experience) in horticultural and/or hands-on environmental work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping
o OR minimum 2 years’ relevant work experience that demonstrates transferable skills to this role
o **Preferred: at least 15 credits in horticulture or a related field from an accredited organization
• Communication: Must have a professional and positive demeanor and work well with the public, coworkers and NYC Parks Department. Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
• Collaboration: Ability to work as part of a team and willingness to be very hands-on with the performance of a variety of assigned tasks. Must have a can-do attitude. Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and new opportunities.
• Characteristics: The ideal candidate is honest, a team player, a good listener, calm under pressure, and is accountable for their tasks. Strong organizational skills with excellent follow-through to get the job done.
• Values & Culture Fit: Demonstrated passion for Riverside Park’s mission and values
Working Conditions: Must have a valid driver’s license. Ability to work a 7:00 am to 3:30 pm work day. Be able to lift 40 pounds. Work outdoors, maneuver outdoors (in all weather conditions) on the 300- acre facility’s hills, grass, and gravel pathways. Flexibility to work during weekends and infrequently evenings for special events
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
• Assist with maintaining and advancing horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
• Working with a gardener, care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
• Create and carry out work plans, as directed by a zone gardener.
• Opportunity to learn how to identify plants and their maintenance needs.
• Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice; operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
• Perform other assigned duties.
Please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Garden Technician” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Riverside Park Conservancy provides a competitive benefits package, health care and paid time off. Starting salary is $15 per hour.
Riverside Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.