Start Date: ASAP Compensation: New Hire $20.98/hr. Incumbent $23.71/hr
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 67 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. We are New York City’s principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events, and cultural festivals.
Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits. All staff will be provided with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Assist in the planting and cultivating of trees, flowers and shrubs including tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping, transplanting trees and shrubs, digging up and transplanting sod, potting flowers and plants as well as propagating plant life and pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants.
- Assist in the maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Prepare soil and seed beds. Grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Repair damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil.
- Assist in and perform tasks involved in the operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Perform simple record keeping and prepare simple written reports.
- Drive vehicles and operates other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- May supervise seasonal employees, as well as volunteers.
- As directed, perform tasks in connection with cleaning grounds and painting fixtures and equipment.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to ʺ1ʺ above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in ʺ1ʺ above.
- A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates within 90 days of hire.
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species.
- New York State Pesticide Applicator License category 3A or 7 a plus.
- Ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely manner.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee. Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY
Parks & City Employees:
From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link:
Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 468657
Include your ERN and Job ID#468657 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here: Gardener I OR Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 468657.
POST DATE: 07/16/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED
References will be required upon request. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
NYC Parks and Recreation.
Website: Apply Online