Compensation: $43410-$49992 / Yearly Salary
Code No. 81309
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs, and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision, assists in and performs gardening work; performs related work.
Examples of Typical Tasks
- Under supervision, assists in and performs tasks such as planting, cultivating and caring for trees, flowers, plants, shrubs and other flora.
- Assists in and performs tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping and transplanting trees and shrubs. Digs up and transplants sod. Pots flowers and plants. Propagates plant life.
- Assists in and performs tasks involved in maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Assists in preparation of soil and seed beds. Receives training to grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Assists in repairing damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil. Is trained in pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants and assists with integrated pest control.
- Assists in and performs tasks involved in operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Makes necessary operating adjustments to same; reports needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Performs simple recordkeeping and prepares simple written reports.
- Drives vehicles and operates any other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- May supervise subordinate seasonal employees, as well as volunteers.
- As directed, performs various tasks in connection with cleaning of grounds including removal of snow, trash and other obstructions and painting of fixtures and equipment.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: Planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
- Thirty credits, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture or a related field, from an accredited college or community college; or a certificate from a recognized horticultural or botanical program; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
Candidate must possess a Motor Vehicle Driver’s License valid in the State of New York.
- Applicants will be required to pass a written and/or practical test.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition and be able to pass an exam by a doctor.
- Good communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- May involve weekend, evening and emergency (for example, snow removal) work.
Strength in several of the following is desired:
- Experience and ability to use and perform basic maintenance of chain saw, backhoe/frontloader, chipper, and other botanical garden tools and equipment.
- Interest in/knowledge of plant records management (research, identification, labeling, and signage) and collections management software (such as IrisBG).
- Interest in/knowledge of native and invasive plants and sustainability.
Note: Roman type is taken directly from city job descriptions. Italics added by Queens Botanical Garden staff.
This is a full-time Union position with benefits. This position requires a 40 hours/week schedule Monday through Friday, 8am-4pm.
Benefits & Salary
This is a full-time Union position with benefits- including 15 days paid vacation which is earned on an accrued basis, health, participation in the DC37 Health & Security Plan and CIRS savings and pension plans.
Salary range: Hiring Rate: $43,410, Incumbent: $49,992, Max: $62,479
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant documents via our Career Center.
If you encounter difficulties with uploading documents to the portal, please send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health & Safety: proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required for employment.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email email@example.com, phone 718-886-3800 x 203.
Queens Botanical Garden Society
Website: Apply Online