Start Date: March 2020
Gowanus Canal Conservancy (GCC) is a community-based non-profit organization that serves as the environmental steward for the Gowanus Canal watershed.
We are looking for a skilled and independent gardener to maintain multiple green spaces in the right of way throughout Gowanus, Brooklyn during the 2020 growing season and to coordinate logistics for street tree improvements for the Gowanus Tree Network in Spring 2020. Sites include 12 bioswales, 12 sidewalk planters, 1 linear sidewalk garden, and tree pits on four blocks. The ideal candidate is passionate about gardening, has interest in and knowledge about NYC native plants and green infrastructure, is comfortable working independently along busy city streets, and can efficiently coordinate logistics with volunteers and contractors. The gardener will also be a GCC ambassador in the field and should be comfortable interfacing with the public.
1. Gowanus Tree Network Coordination (March - July 2020) - The Gowanus Tree Network is composed of selected blocks in Gowanus where residents act as street tree ambassadors and GCC provides resident trainings, tools & materials, and tree pit improvements. The Gardener will provide volunteer coordination, material procurement, and installation support for tree guard installations on four blocks. Responsibilities include:
- Conduct plant, mulch, and tool deliveries using GCC van
- Coordinate volunteers in the field
- Coordinate tree guard installations - Provide on-the-ground installation support for 4 blocks.
2. Gardening & Site Maintenance (April - October 2020)
Perform weekly maintenance to keep sites healthy, functional, and beautiful. Responsibilities include:
- Weekly removal of litter in and around each site
- Seasonal weeding, pruning, and planting
- Watering plantings using fire hydrant with hose attachment
- Pest management as needed
- Experience with gardening, green infrastructure, and community stewardship
- Experience coordinating logistics in the field
- Knowledge of NYC native plants and common weeds
- Interest and ability to work outdoors in an urban environment in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently
- Some leadership or teaching experience
- Must hold current driver’s license and be comfortable driving a 9’ cargo van in the city
- This position requires using personal phone to communicate while in the field
Hours and Compensation
Pay: $20/hour, paid as a part-time temporary staff member. Schedule includes up to 600 hours between March and October ($12,000) with a concentration of hours in the Spring.
- March-July: approximately 21 hours per week, flexible hours to be coordinated with some weekend work
- August-October: approximately 12 hours per week, flexible hours
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com