Start Date: Fall
BBP is looking to hire a full time Gardener, who will be responsible for the daily horticultural management of Park landscapes. Ideal candidates are experienced and passionate about native plants, ecology, and public horticulture and excited to work in a diverse and productive team.
- Caring for thousands of newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
- Planting and transplanting herbaceous plants and small trees
- Understory tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Integrated Pest Management
- Maintenance of all essential equipment
- Weeding, brush clearing, and mulching
- Debris and trash removal
- Provide help with seasonal tasks, including snow removal
- Composting and compost facility maintenance
- Overseeing the daily tasks of the Seasonal Gardeners
- Research, data collection, and horticultural database maintenance
- Interacting with park patrons in a professional manner as a representative of BBP
- Leading volunteer groups and training long-term Zone Volunteers
- Conducting educational workshops and tours for the public
- Provide support to other members of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Operations Staff on avariety of tasks from maintenance work to gardening
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated byOperations Management
- Four or more years of horticulture experience or degree in horticulture and/orrelated field
- Two years of meadow or grasslands management with advanced knowledge of meadow ecology
- Strong arboricultural skills including species-specific structural / formative pruningand IPM
- Knowledge of and experience with native plants, ecology, and public horticulture
- Experience with various landscape maintenance equipment
- Knowledge of plant diseases and pests, as well as IPM strategies
- Strong weed identification and management skills
- Familiarity with irrigation systems
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 40 lbs) on a daily basis in all weatherconditions
- Previous experience in a facility maintenance and/or park setting
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Comfortable working independently or with a teamand outside in a park-setting
- Experience managing diverse teams through complex projects
- Supervisory experience preferred
- NYS valid drivers license
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week, non-exempt position. Typical hours are8 AM-4:30PM, but change with seasons.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use“GARDENER” as your subject line.
Brooklyn Bridge Park provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training
Brooklyn Bridge Park is an 85-acre, 1.3-mile public space that stretches along the Brooklyn waterfront. Our mission is to connect people, nature, and the waterfront through inclusive, innovative, and sustainable management and design. Our vision is to contribute to a healthier, more livable city.
- We built an innovative funding model to ensure financial self-sufficiency and independence.
- We practice ecological horticulture to foster and integrate vibrant wildlife habitats in our urban environment.
- We ensure the park’s design provides an adaptable public space that is welcoming to all.
- We strive to recruit and retain a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve.
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Contact Name: Rebecca McMackin