Compensation: $20.79/hr to $23.71/hr
GreenThumb Operations is the field operations unit of GreenThumb, the community gardening program of NYC Parks. The team provides support for over 550 community gardens. The team is responsible for the delivery of fresh compost, topsoil and lumber; preparing new garden sites for planting construction; and making necessary structural repairs such as tree pruning, fence and sidewalk repair to ensure that our garden spaces remain safe and inviting.
This position is funded through June 30, 2022.
Visit www.nyc.gov/parks for information about NYC Parks!
- Under supervision assist in and perform gardening maintenance and restoration work for GreenThumb.
- Assist with material pick-up and delivery, management of invasive species, snow and ice removal, site clearing and preparation, tree pruning, planting and various related landscape maintenance activities.
- Operate a wide range of vehicles and field power equipment, such as trucks, lawn mowers, weed whackers, leaf blowers, snow blowers and manual pruning equipment.
- Implement ecological restoration and garden restoration projects as directed.
- Respond as part of a team to citywide efforts as needed and help set up and break down for events.
- Assist with maintenance and repair of tools and equipment.
- Support community garden education-based projects and public events with GreenThumb.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to ʺ1ʺ above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in ʺ1ʺ above.
LICENSE REQUIREMENT - A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- 1. Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species.
- 2. New York State Pesticide Applicator License category 3A or 7 a plus.
- 3. Ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely manner.
HOW TO APPLY
Parks & City Employees: From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 487416.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 487416 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Gardener I OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 487416.
POST DATE: 10/01/21 POST UNTIL: 10/18/21
Phone: (212) 602-5300