Founded in 1965, Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades, in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. For more information about Wave Hill, please visit www.wavehill.org.
The gardens and landscapes include: flower garden, wild garden, aquatic garden, alpine house, herb and dry gardens, tropical house, cactus and succulent house, collections of South African bulbs and other winter-blooming plants, woodlands, significant trees, and extensive displays of summer containers.
Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, and under general supervision of the Associate Director of Horticulture, the Gardener is required to bring sound horticultural practices to bear in a multitude of gardening situations and related work. The position involves hard physical labor in all weather conditions. The successful candidate will be an experienced gardener trained to maintain and develop gardens and greenhouse collections; this includes planting, cultivating, propagating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, pest control and lawn maintenance. The Gardener will maintain and enhance the unique landscape of Wave Hill while working within a creative, collaborative department.
- Passion for gardening and desire to work with a diverse collection of hardy and tender plants
- Minimum three years’ experience in fine gardening and related horticulture
- Familiarity with the operation and use of power and hand tools
- A valid driver’s license in good standing
- Willingness to work outdoors under all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently or with others
This position is under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Full-time; Non-exempt
- 5 days a week; 35 hours a week; Weekend rotation and split days off
- Competitive Salary
- Benefits: major medical, dental, vision, paid time off, 401k with a pension plan, and life insurance
Follow the link to the Wave Hill jobs page to the Gardener application form. Complete the application form and attach a resume and cover letter in PDF format. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Application link: Wave Hill Gardener Application
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees.
Website: Apply Online