(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Trust for Governors Island (The Trust) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to realize the full potential of Governors Island, demonstrating a bold vision for public space. For more information, visit www.govisland.org
The Gardener provides care and maintenance of the gardens on Governors Island. The Gardener is responsible for all aspects of monitoring and caring for the diverse gardens within the park and the Island's historic district. This position requires superior organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain Island horticultural assets in assigned zone including planting beds, trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, vines and bulbs.
- Perform work including planting, damage/corrective/structural tree and shrub pruning, cabling and staking, weeding, deadheading, thinning, cutback, hand-watering, raking, mulching, transplanting, composting and soil mixing.
- Monitor irrigation systems in assigned zone.
- Plan and procure replacement plants seasonally, including the assessment of plant species failures and the development and implementation of replacement planting plans.
- Work as part of a team to create and maintain horticultural standard operating procedures for the Island and in assigned zone.
- Collaborate on the design and maintenance of new planting areas across the Island that create seasonal interest, such as pollinator beds and bulb plantings.
- Have familiarity with Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies and ability to execute in assigned zone.
- Maintain horticulture back-of-house, including propagation and care of plants in nursery, and inventory and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Participate in Island-wide seasonal clean-up activities.
- Participate in the creation and management of a horticultural database to document plant information, growth data and pest and disease issues.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of an Island-wide tree inventory and management system.
- Gather details to support the creation of public-facing horticulture information.
- Manage zone volunteers and seasonal gardeners. Work with corporate volunteer groups to address large horticultural projects.
- Communicate with the Operations team regarding park infrastructure, cleanliness, zone usage and programming.
- Actively promote and contribute to the Island's sustainability initiatives, including coordination with on-Island program partners.
- Act as an ambassador for Governors Island, answering questions from visitors on topics including horticulture, park design, history and general information.
- Ability to be flexible and make sound professional judgments.
- Availability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Education: Degree/certification in a professional horticulture program preferred.
Two or more years of horticultural experience, preferably in public horticulture, with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification. NYS Pesticide Technician, or ability to obtain within six months of hire date.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to prioritize tasks. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Position requires the employee to perform physical labor (lifting, bending, squatting, etc.) in all weather conditions.
- Experience supervising volunteers.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational and problem-solving skills.
- High level of personal accountability, self-organization, autonomy and discipline.
- Ability to work with people at all levels with an open and engaging personality.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs and familiarity using data collection software and work order management systems.
- Valid driver's license.
Salary: $21 to $24 per hour.
Location and Schedule: All positions are located on Governors Island. This position is in-person, five days a week.
TO APPLY - Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gardener” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the Trust, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the Trust.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, marital status, membership in an employee organization, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, r
The Trust for Governors Island
Website: Apply Online