(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: 5/1/2023 Compensation: $20 per hour
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) is seeking an energetic and dedicated Gardener to support horticultural work in public spaces throughout New York City. Gardeners should be able to work efficiently, independently, and collaboratively to accomplish each day’s tasks. The Gardener will work directly with The Hort’s horticulturalists to plant and care for trees and shrubs, install urban farms and garden structures, and engage in green infrastructure work on roofs, gardens, open streets, and public plazas. The ideal candidate is passionate about furthering their career in horticulture.
This is a full-time, year-round position with room for growth.
The mission of The Horticultural Society of New York is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and environment through horticulture.
- Care for newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
- Planting, pruning, and deadheading
- Weeding and brush clearing
- Leaf, debris, and trash removal
- Irrigation repair and installation
- Composting and mulching
- Maintain tools and machinery
- Survey condition of sites
- Communicate status of job site, including improvements needed or issues
- Maintain professionalism with clients and members of the public
- Other tasks as assigned.
- 6 months to 2 years of experience with hands-on experience building, and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and/or urban farms
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Comfortable working in high traffic areas (road sides, medians, traffic circles, tree pits, etc).
- Valid NYS Driver’s License and clean driving record preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Perform all other duties and tasks assigned
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
All Full-Time Regular staff are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Eligible on day 1 of employment to enroll in The Hort’s medical plan. The Hort pays 50% of the highest individual premium applicable to all plans
- Eligible to enroll in dental and vision (employee pays the full premium)
- 10k term life insurance policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days in year one, 20 days thereafter
- Accrue up to 48 hours of paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked)
- Accrue up to 24 hours of personal leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Transit Benefits through WageWorks
- Rate: $20/hr
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Reports to: Field Supervisor
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com with ‘Gardener’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York