Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $20-25/hr
The Gardener is responsible for delivering quality gardening services offered by Jane Gil Gardens Inc by performing the following duties. Travel is required to and within our service areas, primarily within but not limited to the NYC metro area: Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn.
- Performs gardening tasks at the highest standards and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the aesthetic presentation of plants and garden design.
2. Assists with installation, de-installation, demolition, and maintenance of garden areas reflective of the client and Company quality standards.
3. Cares for and maintains local and ornamental plants, including in some cases tropical plants, vegetables, and herbs.
4. Identifies plant species, insects, and disease.
5. Performs horticultural tasks such as planting, deadheading, weeding, mulching, pruning, and watering of display beds.
6. Prunes shrubs and small trees using current arboriculture industry standards.
7. Leaves job sites in pristine condition upon task completion.
8. Operates and maintains hand-held power equipment such as blowers.
9. Follows safety guidelines and manufacture labels for the use of chemicals (fertilizer, pest control, and anti-desiccant spray) and the operation of equipment and tools.
10. Loads and unloads materials from trucks.
11. Bags and disposes of planting/maintenance debris and ensure a clean work area before leaving a site.
12. Reports time and attendance promptly.
13. Reports safety and operational needs to direct supervisor.
14. Participates in job performance reviews.
15. Performs other tasks as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Email and Web Browsing, and Online Time-Keeping software.
No education required; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in Ornamental Horticulture.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Degree or certification in horticultural or related field desired
- Valid NYS driver's license preferred
- Digging forks
- Hand shears
- Light handheld power tools
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species and plant identification skills
- Punctual, dependable, and sociable with a positive attitude, fastidious attention to detail,and a love of gardening
- Follow instructions and take initiative
- Work independently as well as part of a team
- Communicate professionally, effectively and promptly with coworkers
- Presentable appearance
- Be flexible in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to
variables like weather, scheduling, and events
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock,
vibration.The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
Jane Gil Gardens