Start Date: 10/30/2023 Compensation: $60,981
WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
The Bronx Zoo Gardner is responsible for ensuring proper horticulture techniques to a variety of landscapes and interior-scapes within the Zoo.
This Gardner and will be able to demonstrate a broad spectrum of knowledge across the Horticultural field and carry this out on a daily basis by maintaining a diverse collection of plants throughout the 265 acres at the Bronx Zoo.
- Maintains a diverse collection of plants throughout the property, including but not limited to; indoor/outdoor exhibits, gardens, landscapes, greenhouses, visitor spaces, employee spaces, natural/wild spaces.
- Apply correct horticultural technique to pruning, grooming, planting, propagation, potting, watering, weeding, removals, mulching, seeding, transplanting, soil preparation, fertilizing and growing to a variety of plants for health, desired look, and safety.
- Perform general horticulture upkeep throughout the property such as but not limited to; seed, sod, plant, weed, mulch, hedge, cut back, storm/damage clean up, grade soil, string trim, mow, blow, water, fertilize, and debris removal through the use of hand/power equipment and properly maintain equipment.
- Perform greenhouse maintenance including maintaining record logs, general maintenance, cleaning, equipment upkeep,
- Troubleshoot plant issues related to soil and prepare soil mixtures for a large variety of plants. Apply fertilizers and/or other treatments to plants throughout the property for the purpose of plant health and apply Integrated Pest Management, under supervision across a wide range of plants and areas.
- Plan and/or follow design plans and/or execute installations and de-installations
- Keep and or create simple written records and reports, digital and paper, that may include but not limited to daily logs, arboretum records, plant inventory, equipment inventory, contractor work and various tracking logs.
- Supervise sub-ordinate employees, students, volunteers, and interns and instruct in correct horticultural techniques and skill, as well as proper and safe use of materials and equipment.
- Supervise, escort and work with outside contractors to ensure quality and conformance according to society policy and protocol in relation to Horticulture Operations.
- Operate and/or maintain both hand and power equipment as well as WCS vehicles. Log use and/or needs for repair and/or replacements.
- Perform related tasks and duties as required
- Minimum two years full-time paid work experience in horticultural gardening, with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, IPM and identification. Public gardening experience preferred.
- 30 credits in horticulture, agriculture, or a related field from an accredited college, university of community college.
- A certificate from a recognized horticultural or botanical program.
- A combination of work experience as listed above, and education as listed above with minimum one year work experience.
- Must have and maintain a Valid Driver License and clean driving record.
- Prolonged periods standing, walking, stretching, bending, climbing ladders, kneeling, and pulling.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
- Must be physically able to operate power equipment.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer, and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and engaging a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on gender, race/ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, caste, genetic information or any other covered status or characteristic protected by laws and regulations/and similar categories.
It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon a person’s membership in one of these protected categories in areas such as recruitment, selection, job assignment, supervision, training, promotions, job grading, transfers, termination, compensation, benefits, educational opportunities, WCS sponsored recreational activities and facilities.
The organization complies with the spirit and intent of relevant local laws and WCS’s employment policies.
Note that the salary offer will reflect the selected candidate’s individual experiences, skills and qualifications, internal equity, work location and country of work.