Compensation: $47K-$68K per yr
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Job Posting Notice
Building Operations & Maintenance, Public Safety, Inspections, & Enforcement
78-88 Park Drive East QueensNY
Proposed Salary Range
$ 47,437.00 - $ 54,552.00-$68,273.00 (Annual)
Under supervision, candidate will work on the Arterial Maintenance herbicide crew. Responsibilities will include: controlling weedy plants along the arterial highways within the five boroughs. In addition to herbicide application work, there will be incidental work with tree planting, turf establishment, manual weed control and general landscape maintenance including snow removal. Candidates will operate and care for hand and power gardening tools and equipment and make necessary operating adjustments; Initiate requests for repairs and replacements and maintain simple records and prepare written reports. Perform related duties.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
As a prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at StudentAid.gov/PSLF.
40 Hours Per Week
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- 1. One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
- 2. A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- 3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to 1 above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in 1 above.
- 4. To be appointed or assigned to Gardener - Assignment Level II, after meeting the qualification requirements for Gardener - Assignment Level I, candidates must have one additional year of satisfactory, full time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following areas: propagating, planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns. To be appointed or assigned to Gardener - Assignment Level II, candidates must have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator - Category 3A License issued by the New York State Department of Environmental conservation. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Driver License Requirement: A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who possess a Commercial Pesticide Technician (or higher) - Category 3A License issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
All resumes are to be submitted electronically. Current City employees, when using a personal computer (non-work computer) please log on into Employee Self Service (ESS) at nyc.gov/ess, follow the Careers Link, and search for Job ID #610096.
Current City employees, when using a work computer please log on into the internal Employee Self Service (ESS) at https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet, follow the Careers Link, and search for Job ID #610096
All other applicants please go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID #610096.
No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Most public libraries have computers available for use. Appointments are subject to OMB approval.
For more information about DOT, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/dot.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
NYC Dept. of Transportation