MORRIS COUNTY (NJ) PARK COMMISSION is seeking a full-time Gardener-Designer. Employees in this position are responsible for maintaining assigned garden areas to the highest degree of horticultural standards as well as supervising subordinate staff with activities related to the design, installation and maintenance of seasonal and permanent plant displays. Individuals should have a strong demonstrated ability in landscape design and aesthetics, as well as a strong working knowledge of a variety of annual, perennial, herbaceous, woody, bulb, and tropical plants. This position is based at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum but will be utilized at the park systems other horticultural sites Willowwood Arboretum and Bamboo Brook and facilities. Work is approximately 70% gardening / 30% designing.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Designs, plants and maintains a variety of seasonal and permanent display gardens and container plantings, with annuals, perennials, bulbs, herbaceous, woody and tropical plants.
- Sources, selects and orders appropriate supplies & plant materials while working within a defined budget.
- Supervises and participates in the installation and care of designed plantings resulting in high quality gardens and grounds for public enjoyment and to enhance facility rental revenue potential.
- Produces professional planting design drawings by hand (or with computer design software, if available) and maintains all associated plant records in coordination with the Horticultural Plant Records program.
- Works with members of the Horticulture Education department to develop planting designs and gardens that supplement horticultural classes and programs.
- Trains and supervises staff in the maintenance of annuals, perennials, vines, shrubs, tropical plants, and trees in accordance with the horticulture standards of the Morris County Park Commission.
- Performs horticultural tasks such as, but not limited to, soil preparation, planting, weeding, staking, deadheading, watering, fertilizing and mulching.
- Applies pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers and maintains associated application records as required.
Minimum: A two-year Associate’s degree in Horticulture, Landscape Design, or a related field; 3-years’ work as a professional gardener or groundskeeper; 1-year’s experience supervising a staff making landscape plantings in a public garden; landscape contracting, or related industry; a portfolio of original garden designs and installations; the ability to identify woody, herbaceous, and annual landscape plants; and the ability to obtain NJ Pesticide Operator License.
- Valid New Jersey Driver’s license.
- Applicants must pass Horticultural Design Foreman test to be eligible for this position.
Salary: $54,109.00 plus Benefits.
Please visit http://morrisparks.net/index.php/commission/employment/ for full job description (apply for horticultural display foreman position) and additional information regarding the Park Commission. Applicants must download the employment application and submit with cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Morris County Park Commission is an equal opportunity employer. Deadline: until filled.