Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture and the Arborist, the Gardener/Groundskeeper will be responsible for year-round care of herbaceous plants, shrubs and trees in the formal garden, the Wilderness Garden, the orchard and other sections of the 1000-acre property.
- Performs a variety of groundskeeping activities including maintaining assigned property, care of lawns and gardens, ensuring compliance with safety rules and regulations; ensuring that work zone and equipment are in safe operating condition.
- Performs the upkeep, planting and replanting of flower beds; maintains and weeds flower beds, pots, and baskets; performs a variety of landscaping functions including planting and pruning trees and shrubs, and mowing and fertilizing, raking, aeration of lawns.
- Maintains grounds and common areas including repair of hardscape, snow and ice removal, irrigation, removal of debris from public places and environment, emptying trash and recycling receptacles.
- Conducts fertilizing, weed control, mowing, seeding and watering procedures; inspects landscaped areas; loads and hauls materials; plants and prunes trees, shrubs, and flowers; waters flowerbeds, pots, and baskets.
- Operates a variety of vehicles and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures; identifies and reports mechanical problems requiring additional repair.
- Assists with minor maintenance activities including painting, oiling, staining and waterproofing when necessary.
- Participates in the physical set-up and break-down of events; oversees event activities.
- Monitors public restrooms and public trash rooms for cleanliness and reports issues to supervisor.
- Reports the need for maintenance on tools and motorized machinery including mowers, chain saws, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, weed eaters and other equipment.
- Recognizes, practices, and enforces appropriate safety rules and procedures when performing any and all tasks associated with this position.
- Performs all tasks in a friendly and professional manner at all times.
- Tracks inventory of department supplies and materials.
- Reports all unsafe actions, conditions and injuries to supervisor immediately; wears the required personal protective equipment; wears seat belts when operating any entity vehicle.
- Additional tasks include service and repair of tools and equipment as needed; cutting, splitting and stacking firewood for greenhouse wood furnace; assisting with the installation and removal of deer protection fence; assisting with statue covers as needed; assisting with fruit picking in orchard; and assisting with other maintenance jobs on the property and other duties assigned.
High School Diploma or GED required, further education preferred. Experience with groundskeeping work and gardening work, pruning and shaping of trees and shrubs, use of common hand tools used in gardening, landscaping and snow removal. Candidate must be able to maintain tools and equipment associated with the position. Candidate must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Candidate should have general computer skills. A clean driving record is required for this position.