Start Date: April 2020
Position – Gardener
Location – Mount Desert Island, Maine
Approximate Start Date – April 2020
Description – Property Management Company on Mount Desert Island is seeking a hands-on Gardener to join their team of service professionals. The Gardener will help ensure landscape and gardens are developed and maintained to the highest horticultural standards and that its unique character and excellence are preserved. All duties and responsibilities are performed in alignment with the core values and priorities of the Company. The position is full-time, year-round, salaried, with benefits and 401K plan offered. Salary range dependent upon skill level and experience.
- Maintain and enhance all formal gardens and landscaped areas of the properties.
- Take an active role in on going improvements of overall landscape aesthetics and plant health. Continually be involved in the long-term development of the gardens and landscape.
- Perform a wide range of hands-on daily tasks including but not limited to tree and shrub care, integrated pest management (IPM), pruning, snow removal, lawn care, irrigation, trash removal and equipment maintenance.
- Perform interior and exterior property walk-throughs which include rotational weekend/holiday schedules.
- Help identify and manage risks to the gardens (e.g. plant diseases). Aid in the development and practice an overall program for improving the plant health care of the properties including: IPM, overall soil health, as well as recommendations on improving landscape problem areas.
- Assist in snow removal including plow work for year-round access to the properties while not causing any harm to any part of the site.
- Follow safety protocols including appropriate use of PPE.
- Operations support o Work collaboratively with the rest of the Operations Team to ensure that the properties are always maintained to the highest standards utilizing best management practices.
- Assist with cleaning operational areas – garden shed, staff break room, staff bathroom, offices, and work trucks.
- Comply with estate security and handbook procedures & protocols.
- Assist with any projects and requests given by the Head Gardener.
Finance and Planning
- Follow annual operating budgets with the support of the Head Gardener and Property & Operations Manager.
- Assist in managing and maintaining accurate inventories of grounds equipment and supplies.
- Assist in the development of a 3-year rolling, project forecast with the Head Gardener.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor of Science in horticulture, landscape design, landscape contracting or related field and significant practical experience in the organic horticultural field.
- Significant level of applied horticultural knowledge covering a varied range of plant types.
- Broad knowledge of landscape tools and equipment maintenance.
- Experience with coastal New England landscapes preferred.
- Ability to obtain Maine Master Pesticide Certification within first year of employment
- Must pass background check, drug test, valid driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Utmost confidentiality and professional discretion.
- Strong people skills and confidence to build and maintain relationships, both internally and within the island community.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office programs and in desktop and mobile technology.
- Able to lift up to 50lbs, physically fit, willing to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Flexible – willing and able to work weekends and holidays.
- Willingness to assist in any aspects of the properties when called upon to do so.
Contact Name: bridget reilly