Gardener / Horticulturist
Compensation: $25 - $30/hr
Eco-conscious gardening company ISAIAH’S FIGTREE is hiring a Gardener/Horticulturist for the 2023 season and beyond. We are a team of freelance gardeners working all over Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and western Long Island.
JOB SUMMARY: Garden independently and/or with other gardeners in commercial and residential urban gardens all over Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.
- Work is seasonal, from mid-March through mid-December.
- Estimated weekly work hours are 20 - 30 according to season, weather, and client demand. Flexible schedule with unlimited vacation days (given 2 weeks notice to management).
- Commensurate with experience and expertise. Paid lunch breaks.
- Delayed signing bonus of $500 offered after 9 months of satisfactory work ($750 if using your own vehicle)
- Bonuses offered for good reviews from clients, and commissions offered for any new clients brought by the gardener.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with coworkers and clients
- Pick up small truck, plants, and materials for daily jobs
- Park truck and deliver plants/materials efficiently and courteously to clients
- Take pre-work/post-work pictures
- Plant and install new garden elements
- Manage and maintain various urban garden spaces (this includes but is not limited to: eco-friendly methods of plant care, pest management, and weed management; plant watering, transplanting, pruning, mulching, etc)
- Clean up; sweep and bag trash, recycle, and compostables separately
- Deliver trash, compost, and recycling to drop off sites if necessary
- Drop off truck
- Follow up with clients after completion of work
- Clean tools
- Take notes about the day’s work and communicate to coworkers
- Solid knowledge of general horticultural practices such as plant ID, planting, pruning, etc. Minimum 2 years of professional gardening experience and/or horticultural school;
- Valid NY Drivers License; comfortable driving a small truck around NYC
- Ability to work with honesty, integrity, and a positive attitude
- Ability to take direction but also work independently and problem solve
- Knowledge of garden tools and their proper use
- Ability to lift up to 50lb. at various times throughout the day
- Energetic, motivated and hardworking
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work well and communicate with a diverse community
- Knowledge of irrigation systems, hardscaping, and landscape lighting a big plus
Contact Name: Zack