Compensation: Hiring Rate: $43,410 Incumbent Rate: $49,922
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that builds and cares for public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, encompassing over 5,000 properties and 14% of the city’s land and coastline, include seawalls and waterfronts, pedestrian bridges, beaches and boardwalks, parks and playgrounds, historic houses, recreation centers and pools. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under supervision, assist in the planting and cultivating of trees, flowers and shrubs, including tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping, transplanting trees and shrubs; digging up and transplanting sod; potting flowers and plants; propagating plant life and pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants.
- Assist in the maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Prepare soil and seed beds. Grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Repair damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil.
- Assist in and perform tasks involved in the operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment.
- Make necessary operating adjustments; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Perform simple record keeping and prepare simple written reports.
- Drive vehicles and operate other motorized equipment required for to the performanceof duties.
- Supervise seasonal employees, as well as volunteers, as needed.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in “1” above.
- A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
- Preferred applicants have filed and taken the recent Gardener Civil Service Examination (Exam No. 0114).
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
- Knowledge of herbicides and herbicide application.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule by working occasional weekends.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and handle gas-powered equipment.
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently.
Salary: Hiring Rate: $43,410 Incumbent Rate: $49,922 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 1/17/20
Duration: Some positions are seasonal ending June 30, 2020.
Work Location: Manhattan
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID# 426461
Website: Apply Online