Gardener level 1
Compensation: $43,410 to $49,922 per year
Become a Gardener at NYC Parks and help keep our parks green and beautiful! Public service is a rewarding job—caring and maintaining parks for all New Yorkers to enjoy. NYC Parks offers exceptional health benefits and pension, generous vacation/sick days and a work-life balance. You will have access to training and resources to support you in your career.
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land – 14 percent of New York City – including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 65 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees and two million more in parks. We are New York City’s principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events and cultural festivals. www.nyc.gov/parks
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or pregnancy.
• Under supervision, assist in the planting and cultivating of trees, flowers and shrubs, including tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping, transplanting trees and shrubs; digging up and transplanting sod; potting flowers and plants; propagating plant life and pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants.
• Assist in the maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
• Prepare soil and seed beds. Grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Repair damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil.
• Assist in and perform tasks involved in the operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment.
• Make necessary operating adjustments; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
• Perform simple record keeping and prepare simple written reports.
• Drive vehicles and operate other motorized equipment required for to the performance of duties.
• Supervise seasonal employees, as well as volunteers, as needed.
1. One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
2. A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in “1” above.
A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
2. Knowledge of herbicides and herbicide application.
3. Ability to work a flexible schedule by working occasional weekends.
4. Experience working with volunteers.
5. Ability to lift 50 lbs and handle gas-powered equipment.
6. Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
7. Ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently.
Apply by 8/19/2022.
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 541975.
(Previous applicants to Job ID# 527160 are still under consideration and do not need to reapply.)