Gardener level 1 for Queens
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $20.79 to $22.72 new hires
Join NYC Parks this spring and summer for a rewarding job caring for trees, flowers and shrubs. From the iconic Central Park to neighborhood playgrounds, we own and operate some of the most spectacular green spaces in the world. NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land – 14% of New York City. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 65 public pools, and 51 recreational facilities.
Perks - Earn vacation and sick leave every month and receive free membership to our recreation centers.
- Assist in the planting and cultivating of trees, flowers and shrubs including tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping, transplanting trees and shrubs, digging up and transplanting sod, potting flowers and plants as well as propagating plant life and pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants.
- Assist in the maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Prepare soil and seed beds. Grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Repair damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil.
- Assist in and perform tasks involved in the operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Perform simple record keeping and prepare simple written reports.
- Drive vehicles and operate other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- May supervise seasonal employees, as well as volunteers.
- As directed, perform tasks in connection with cleaning grounds and painting fixtures and equipment.
- 1. One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to ʺ1ʺ above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in ʺ1ʺ above.
- A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species.
- New York State Pesticide Applicator License category 3A or 7 a plus.
- Ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely manner.
Duration: Spring 2023 to Fall 2023 - 40 hours per week.
New hire $20.79/hour Incumbent $23.91/hour*
*On 5/26/23 rates go up to $22.72 new hire/$26.13 incumbent.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00 to $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume.
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go Careers and search for Job ID# 582470. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 582470.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 582470 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 582470.