Gardener/Maple Grove-Woodland Garden
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $59,204-$68,085/ annually
Position Title: Gardener/Maple Grove-Woodland Garden
Reports to: Director of Horticulture & Foreperson of Grounds
FLSA Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Under the guidance of the director of Horticulture and general supervision of the forepersons, the gardener performs gardening and related work on the grounds and/or conservatories, specifically Maple Grove and the Woodland Garden.
- Engage in all aspects of horticulture both on the grounds and in the conservatories, including planting, cultivating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, mulching, and caring for trees, shrubs, flowers, lawns, and other flora.
- Inspect and identify pest problems and treat such problems using Integrated Pest Management techniques.
- Select, propagate, design, and purchase plants, following appropriate horticultural procedures.
- Operate and maintain hand- and power-gardening tools and small equipment, including making necessary operating adjustments and reporting need for repair and replacement.
- Operate large power-gardening equipment, such as a tractor, mower, rototiller, roller, or sprayer, as needed.
- Supervise assigned subordinate employees, including temporary workers and volunteers, and instruct them in gardening techniques and in the proper use and care of materials and equipment.
- Keep and submit records in a timely fashion, including plant inventory control reports and label requests; keep a log of plant collections and job-related activities; and submit quarterly reports to director of Gardens and Grounds.
- As directed, perform various tasks in connection with general grounds and conservatory care and Garden events.
- Adhere to the policies of the Horticulture department and Brooklyn Botanic Garden generally.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Two (2) years’ college and/or associate degree related to horticulture
Three (3) years’ full-time, paid experience in the following:
- Maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, and lawns, and
- Operation and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment
Satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a physical examination by a doctor, verifying fitness to perform job functions
- Ability to pass written examination and/or practical test
- Ability to obtain and maintain pesticide apprentice certification
- Knowledge of spring ephemerals, canopy and understory plantings, and plant materials suitable for shady, dry growing conditions
- General knowledge of the deciduous woodland landscape ecosystem
- Ability to work both individually and collaboratively
Compensation and Benefits: Salary Range – $59,204-$68,085
Brooklyn Botanic Garden considers several factors when determining the appropriate salary to offer a candidate within the listed salary range. These factors include (but are not limited to), the scope and responsibilities of the position, a candidate’s relevant work experience and education/training, job skills, equity across the institution, as well as market and organizational considerations.
- BBG offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Health Insurance that begins the date of hire; employees are offered coverage through the City of New York’s Office of Labor Relations and can choose from a variety of plans, some at no cost to the employee.
- Dental/Vision/Prescription Benefits
- Pre-Tax Benefits including flexible spending, dependent care, transit/parking accounts
- CIRS Pension/401K/Life Insurance: BBG is a member of the Cultural Institutions Retirement System (CIRS) and offers a pension and 401K plan for eligible employees. Life insurance is provided through CIRS as well.
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off including sick time, vacation time, and 12 annual holidays
- As a 501(c)3, BBG is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Eligible Employer.
- Museum Pass, which provides employees the opportunity to enter many museums in New York City for free
To be considered for this position, please submit an application by clicking Apply below. Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system, or who may require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, should contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Brooklyn Botanic Garden requires all employees to be vaccinated and therefore, new hires must provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you believe that you may have an exemption from the vaccine mandate by federal or state law, please contact HR.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Website: Apply Online