Gardener - Part time/ Freelance
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $30 - $40 /hour
(re)plants is a landscape and garden design firm specializing in the design, installation and maintenance of commercial and residential gardens in New York City. We focus on native planting palettes and sustainable practices for gardening. We are looking to add a part time/ freelance gardener to our team. Qualified candidates have experience in urban gardening with knowledge of perennial plants and sustainable garden maintenance practices. The candidate must be able to work efficiently and in a timely manner to meet scheduling expectations. The candidate must have an eye for detail and strong judgement regarding jobsite etiquette. The position requires working outdoors in all weather and requires heavy lifting (at least 50lbs) as well as working on your feet for a sustained period. Candidate must have a valid driver license, clean driving record, and be comfortable driving a cargo van. This position is predominantly April - Nov with some opportunity and flexibility for Dec - Mar.
- Garden maintenance which includes outdoor cleanup, weeding, pruning, disease prevention/management, training vines, etc.
- Assessing the individual needs of each unique garden.
- Ability to read and execute a planting plan.
- Nursery pickups with the ability and judgement to select healthy plant material and make substitutions as needed.
- Load in and load out protocol (I.e. ensuring all materials are ready for the job, navigating around NYC with a vehicle, taking the utmost care bringing materials through buildings, and leaving job site spotless upon exit).
- Flexibility to jump in as needed with other miscellaneous day-to-day business tasks.
- Knowledge of indoor plants and plant care is a bonus.
- The ideal candidate will have two or more years of horticultural education.
- Extensive knowledge of proper pruning and planting techniques.
- Knowledge of weed and pest identification and treatment strategies.
- Familiarity with automatic irrigation systems.
- Digital communication skills and basic computer knowledge.
- Adaptable schedule to accommodate weather conditions and installation schedule.
- Willingness to communicate and coordinate with co-workers regarding scheduling.
- Ability to arrive on time to each designated site.
- Ability to work well with others and alone.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Valid driver license, clean driving record, and ability to drive a cargo van.