Gardener - Private Estate
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $15-$25 per hour based on experience
- Hands-on gardener wanted to maintain private waterfront estate with over 4 acres on the North Shore of Long Island in western Suffolk County
- Property was originally designed by Olmsted and includes historic landscape elements and specimen plantings.
- Horticultural students are welcome to apply.
- 25-30 hours per week - days flexible - mid-April to mid-December - ability to work weekends preferred
- This position has potential for increased responsibility and extended employment.
- General gardening tasks including but not limited to planting, watering, pruning, deadheading, weeding and fertilizing
- Designing, installing and maintaining annual plantings in beds and planters
- Overseeing weekly lawn care provided by outside landscaper
- Blowing of pathways and removal of debris
- Pruning and shaping shrubs, topiaries and climbing plants
- Maintaining aesthetics of overall property
- Removing invasives from trees, shrubs and beds
- Overseeing mid- and end-of-season service provided by outside landscaper
- Does not include any lawn mowing or heavy maintenance work
- 1 to 3 years of horticultural experience
- Knowledge of horticultural practices and ability to identify plants
- Knowledge of hand pruning
- Interest in fine gardening and garden design
- Self-starter with an artistic eye who can work alone or as part of a team
Contact Name: Dana