Gardener, Seasonal, Part-time
Start Date: Immediately Compensation: Depends on experience
Gardens by Joan, LLC is a Brooklyn-based, boutique garden design, installation, and maintenance company specializing in the custom design and installation of the various garden spaces of New York City from brownstone backyards to rooftop gardens.
The seasonal gardener is an integral part of the Gardens by Joan team. Under the general supervision of the owner, Joan McDonald, the seasonal gardener plays an important role in serving all contracted maintenance clients’ gardens during the growing season (March-December), as well as in more complex design/installation projects.
- ·Perform all gardening maintenance tasks including soil preparation, planting, pruning, fertilizing, dividing, weeding, edging, watering, deadheading, mulching, transplanting, organic pest and disease management, and organic debris removal.
- Provide excellent customer service by being courteous, friendly, and approachable.
- Light hardscaping such as the laying of bluestone pavers or garden edging.
- Keep inventory of tools and supplies and complete daily maintenance forms.
- Have 4+ experience in urban landscape installation and maintenance.
- Possess working knowledge of plants that thrive in NYC gardens and their maintenance requirements, including trees, shrubs, vines, perennials, grasses, and bulbs.
- Possess working knowledge of IPM pest and disease management.
- Have a good eye for design and keen aesthetic for combining and positioning plants in containers and planting beds.
- Have excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Be able to follow and give directions and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Be detail-oriented, reliable and responsible with a good work ethic and attitude.
- Be able to work with a team or independently.
- Be able to complete daily maintenance form and communicate on a daily basis to owner status of work and update
- Know how to safely use light power equipment and hand tools (own your own gloves and hand tools).
- Be able to work outdoors in varied weather conditions (must own rain gear!) with sustained physical activity (able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly).
- Have valid NYS driver’s license and know how to drive!
This position requires occasional weekend work and long hours during the height of the spring and fall season but with a somewhat flexible schedule. If interested, please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
PLEASE ONLY EXPERIENCED GARDENERS!