Gardener (Tree Work)
Position Title: Gardener (Tree Work)
Reports to: Director of Horticulture & Foreperson
FLSA Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Positions Available: 2
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a full-time gardener to perform tree work and related duties under guidance of the director of Horticulture and general supervision of the foreperson.
- Deal with all aspects of horticulture, such as planting, cultivating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, weeding, mulching, and caring for trees, flowers, shrubs, lawns, and other flora, both on the grounds and in the conservatory.
- Inspect and identify pest problems and treat such problems using techniques of Integrated Pest Management.
- Select, propagate, design, and purchase plants with appropriate horticulture procedures.
- Operate and maintain hand- and power-gardening tools and small equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same, and report need for repair and replacement.
- Operate large power-gardening equipment, such as a tractor, mower, rototiller, roller, sprayer, etc., as needed.
- Supervise assigned subordinate employees, including temporary workers and volunteers, instructing them in gardening techniques and in the proper use and care of materials and equipment.
- Keep records, including timely submission of plant inventory–control reports and label requests; keep a logbook of plant collections and job-related activities and submit quarterly reports to director of Horticulture.
- As directed, perform various tasks in connection with general grounds and conservatory care and Brooklyn Botanic Garden events.
- Adhere to the policies of the Horticulture department and Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- Perform tasks as needed for show design and setups.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Two (2) years of college and/or associate degree related to horticulture; or three (3) years of full-time paid experience in maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants and lawns, and operation and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment; or a satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified arborist status and experience climbing and pruning preferred
- Climber-pruner certification preferred
- TRAQ certification preferred
- Pesticide technician or applicator certification preferred (or must be able to obtain Pesticide Apprentice Certification)
- Must know how to safely use a chainsaw
- Ability to identify and discern between various tree conditions, perform tree inspections using advanced diagnostics, climb, prune, install support systems, remove trees, and complete other work as assigned
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Ability to use computer-based tree management systems for scheduling, timekeeping, and inspections; accurately maintain tree care database records
- Must be able to respond to emergency situations including, but not limited to, storms and snow events
- May be called upon to work shifts including nights, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays
- Must be able to pass a written and/or practical test
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range – $60,981-$70,128
Brooklyn Botanic Garden considers several factors when determining the appropriate salary to offer a candidate within the listed salary range. These factors include (but are not limited to), the scope and responsibilities of the position, a candidate’s relevant work experience and education/training, job skills, equity across the institution, as well as market and organizational considerations.
- BBG offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Health Insurance that begins the date of hire; employees are offered coverage through the City of New York’s Office of Labor Relations and can choose from a variety of plans, some at no cost to the employee.
- Dental/Vision/Prescription Benefits
- Pre-Tax Benefits including flexible spending, dependent care, transit/parking accounts
- CIRS Pension/401K/Life Insurance: BBG is a member of the Cultural Institutions Retirement System (CIRS) and offers a pension and 401K plan for eligible employees. Life insurance is provided through CIRS as well.
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off including sick time, vacation time, and 12 annual holidays
- As a 501(c)3, BBG is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Eligible Employer.
- Museum Pass, which provides employees the opportunity to enter many museums in New York City for free
To be considered for this position, please submit an application by clicking Apply below. Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system, or who may require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, should contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.