Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business, is seeking focused, positive, hard-working individuals to help expand the Maintenance Program for off-site green roofs, urban landscapes, and other green spaces.
The Gardener is an aesthetically driven, hard working individual who can maintain Brooklyn Grange’s standards of sustainable landscaping for indoor and outdoor installations. The Gardener will help maintain an array of sites that include commercial green roofs, rooftop meadows, edible landscapes, residential terraces, and indoor green walls and tropicals. Preferred applicants have a background in horticulture, experience and appreciation of urban landscaping, and feel comfortable navigating in and around New York City. Applicants should be comfortable working independently and must be prompt and clear when communicating with Head Gardener, Garden Managers, and Director of Design/Build. This position requires frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions as well as travel to several client sites, often in the course of the same day. Applicants must be adaptable to various client needs, settings, and systems.
SCHEDULE: Maintenance schedule will consist of Monday through Friday, pre -cheduled work, which may vary each week. Work will be Full Time with hours ranging from 35-40 hours per week, from April through early December. Some work days will begin at 6:30AM. We are open to applicants seeking Part Time work as well.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on our roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities. All three of our departments—our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design Build arm—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, and delicious place to live.
- Maintenance of commercial sedum green roofs, meadow landscapes, container gardens, green walls, tree pits, edible landscapes, residential gardens
- Watering indoor and outdoor plants in containers not attached to an automatic irrigation system
- Uphold Brooklyn Grange’s standards during all client interactions and services
- Regular communication with department management and team
- 1+ years experience in landscaping or horticulture
- Is positive, energetic, and has a strong work ethic
- Has experience and general knowledge of garden installation and maintenance
- A strong sense of Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types, is preferred.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Can lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Is punctual and time efficient, and responsible
- Is respectful of client spaces
- Has a NY State driver’s license
What we’re offering:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- An hourly rate of $18/hr
- Participation in the Company’s Simple IRA plan, health benefit (for Full Time employees only), and Sick and Safe leave
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Gardener Job Application”
Include a cover letter and resume
Applications will be accepted through 2/24/2020
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.