Start Date: July/August 2022 Compensation: $55,806
This is a full-time, benefits eligible union position with an annual salary of $55,806.
Application deadline for this position is July 1, 2022.
Must be able to pass a written and practical exam; date and location to be announced.
To apply for Gardener for Glasshouses at New York Botanical Garden, click the link below: https://jobs.jobvite.com/nybg/job/orm6jfwW
The Glasshouse Gardener will work under the supervision of the Director of the Nolen Greenhouses, Plant Production Manager, and Foreman of Gardeners to propagate, develop and maintain a diversity of plants grown at the Nolen Greenhouses, including; propagating plants for exhibitions and seasonal displays, installing and de-installing exhibitions and seasonal displays, and maintaining permanent plant collections.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and actively helps to build and maintain an inclusive organizational culture throughout the institution.
• Maintain a diverse collection of herbaceous plants, shrubs, trees, and vines throughout the glasshouses and exhibitions, including tasks such as watering, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, soil preparation and tool maintenance.
• Care for specialized plant material in the glasshouses including tasks such as planting, transplanting, preparation of soils, propagation, moving, grooming, watering, fertilizing, propagation and training of exhibition plants and permanent collections.
• Perform tasks related to the installation and de-installation of plant material for special exhibitions and displays.
• Assist with and perform tasks related to the maintenance, cleaning, and operations of greenhouses, and maintain glasshouse gardening and horticulture equipment and tools.
• Assist with IPM work including scouting and pesticide application as necessary. Help to monitor and treat health problems of all plant material including assisting and participating in the pruning, spraying, and general health care of glasshouse plants.
• Inventory of plant material, simple record keeping, and prepare simple written reports as required.
• Supervise subordinates, students and volunteers instructing them in correct horticultural techniques and skills.
• Drive vehicles and other motorized equipment and machinery as necessary to perform daily assignments.
• Some weekend work and overtime required; other related work as required.
• Two years of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or 30 credits in horticulture, agriculture, or a related field from an accredited college or community college and one year of full-time gardening work experience as described above; or
• A certificate from a recognized horticultural or botanical program and one year of full-time gardening work experience as described above.
• Education and/or experience equivalent to any of the above. However, candidates must have at least one year of full-time gardening work experience as described above.
• The ability to follow instructions and to work as part of a team.
• The ability to perform strenuous physical tasks in a variety of conditions.
• A Motor Vehicle Operator's License valid in the State of New York at the time of appointment.
• Commercial Pesticide Applicator—Category 3A License issued by the State of New York Department of Environmental Conservation at time of appointment or the ability to obtain such within six months of hire.
New York Botanical Gardens
Website: Apply Online