Greenhouse & Garden Manager
Start Date: 8/15/22 Compensation: $60,000-$65,000
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) is seeking a Greenhouse & Garden Manager for the 2,500 square foot educational greenhouse and 4,500 square foot surrounding gardens in Harlem, New York. This individual enjoys a busy, mission-driven environment, can prioritize tasks as needed to meet short deadlines, works hard with a can-do attitude; is able to adapt and excel in rapidly changing circumstances; is highly collegial, a team player, and pays excellent attention to detail. The greenhouse is a learning center geared towards children, families, and community, emphasizing nutrition, homegrown production, and other urban agriculture opportunities.
This opportunity requires both a high level of plant care knowledge and a high degree of comfort working with the public. The mission of the center is to introduce urban residents to the many benefits of plants in our lives, and to develop lifelong gardeners. The Greenhouse Garden Manager will be responsible for the operations and programs associated with our greenhouse facilities, vegetable garden and ornamental gardens. Working in concert with the Chief of Horticulture, this position will schedule and oversee all work associated with propagating, planting, watering, monitoring, acquiring, and maintaining the plants and facilities needed to execute all the programs at the Greenhouse Education Center to established high standards.
- Develop, implement, and document a year-round vegetable production schedule
- Develop, implement, and document the interior and exterior seasonal displays associated with the greenhouse and surrounding gardens
- Maintain the perennial and ornamental collections throughout the greenhouse and gardens
- Teach horticulture to children, adults and staff
- Oversight of the educators and other staff as they assist in plant care
- Assist in the development of programs, workshops, and conferences
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Degree in Horticulture or relevant certificate
- 4+ years Greenhouse experience, proficiency in greenhouse care and growing, vegetable and flower gardening, design and installation of interior and exterior garden displays, knowledge of plants and urban landscaping.
- Ability to plan and teach garden workshops
- Demonstrated ability to create a yearly operating budget and keep accurate records of expenses
- A valid NYS driver license and clean driving record
- Knowledge of organic Integrated Pest Management
- Good written and verbal skills
- Self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills
- All new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date Physical Requirements
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous
Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Additional Details: -Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000 -Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular -Schedule: Sunday through Thursday 9am-5pm
How to Apply To be considered please email cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com with 'Greenhouse Garden Manager' in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process
The Horticultural Society of New York