The CLT will report to the Chair of the Department of Biological Sciences through liaisons with the departmental Greenhouse Committee and provide support on various issues relating to the greenhouse in support of coursework, including space usage, protocols and troubleshooting. The CLT position will serve as Greenhouse and Plant Facilities Coordinator and support active research and teaching program in biology, which includes activities from undergraduate to doctorate level. An individual is preferred with a horticulture or related degree and/or experience with greenhouse facilities operations and plant growth chamber controls.
Other tasks and responsibilities determined by the Chair of the Department:
Lehman College, of The City University of New York, ranks among the top five institutions in the nation for fostering social mobility. A four-year Hispanic-Serving Institution in the Bronx, Lehman offers bachelor’s, master’s, and advanced degrees and certificate programs in the Liberal Arts, sciences, and professions. The College’s community-driven mission and notable academic programs attract a diverse, international enrollment of over 15,000 students who take courses on its 37-acre, tree-lined campus and online degree programs. Many thousands more community members benefit yearly from its active cultural, educational, health, and economic outreach programs and services.
- Coordinate greenhouse needs and growth of plants and materials with faculty, staff and students for their ongoing research and teaching projects.
- Assist in growth and maintenance of plant materials required for both undergraduate and graduate level courses.
- Prepare teaching labs by previewing lab manuals, ordering required materials, setting up labs based on the requirement of instructors
- Responsible for growth andmaintenance of plants and collections grown in all departmental plant growth facilities and areas.
- Knowledge of safe application of pesticides and ability to acquire and maintain state pesticide certifications. Apply pesticides and maintain usage log and inventory.
- Procure equipment and supplies required for the greenhouse.
- Assist faculty, staff, students and visiting scientists with all the greenhouse needs and will serve as an information resource for all users. Develop and provide greenhouse tours and offer learning opportunities for students.
- Coordinate preventative maintenance and repairs with the institution and outside vendors.
- Maintain a safe, clean working environment.
- Apply knowledge of the newest advances in greenhouse and related technologies.
- Will be required to work some weekends and holidays to provide care for plants when needed.
- Other duties assigned by the department chair.
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Job Title Name: College Laboratory Technician
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years’ related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for four years experience. Pesticide application license is needed.
Lehman College, City University of New York
Website: Apply Online