Start Date: 09/20/2021 Compensation: 60,000 +
Job Title: Assistant Eco Landscape Manager/Grounds Gardener
Reports to: Ecological Landscape
Location: Garrison, NY – with one day
per week at NYC office
The Assistant Ecological Landscape Manager/Grounds
Gardener ‘Gardener’ is a service-oriented individual who provides hands-on assistance to the Ecological
Landscape Manager and works closely with subcontractors to maintain the
property at the highest standards.
Under direction of the Ecological Land Manager and
collaborating with contractors, and other staff, the Gardener is responsible
for ensuring that landscapes are always well-maintained. Responsibilities include, but are not limited
to, natural landscape care, trail maintenance, grounds work, mowing, equipment
and vehicle maintenance, and trash removal.
The Grounds Gardener will be professional, proactive,
reliable, responsive, and will respect boundaries, privacy, and confidentiality
always. As a critical member of the Mystery Point property team, the Grounds
The gardener will help to ensure the Principal’s overall vision for the estate is
- Have knowledge, training, and experience in horticulture, with an emphasis on natural landscapes.
- Native plant knowledge, and enthusiasm for supporting local ecosystems.
- Skill and experience in the operation and utilization of landscape and gardening machinery and tools. This includes utility vehicles, mowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, blowers, and hand tools such as pruners, spades, and digging forks.
- Have a passion for native plants and natural landscaping
- Some knowledge of irrigation systems, and capacity to operate and perform basic upkeep and repairs of the system.
- Organized and systematic approach to work, and capacity to communicate clearly.
- Must be a team player, willing to help as needed regardless of the task.
- Must have a neat and professional appearance.
- Proactive attitude and approaches problems with a sense of possibility.
- Must be flexible with work schedule and able to be “on call” during weekends for emergencies.
- Always striving to improve the way things are done so they are most efficient.
- Courteous, pleasant demeanor, extremely discreet, honest, non-obtrusive, and responsible character.
- Must be service oriented and implicitly understands the nuances of providing invisible levels of customer service.
- Must be an organized self-starter with attention to detail, to follow through from start to finish on projects.
- Ability to multitask and remain calm in the face of unexpected challenges.
- Ability to work in all weather and temperature conditions.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Ability to regularly handle heavy manual labor including lifting, pushing, and pulling objects/machinery up to 50lbs-100lbs.
- Must be physically able to frequently ascend/descend ladders, bend over or kneel for extended periods of time.
- All properties are smoke-free environments.
- Ability to travel to New York City as needed.
- Good communications skills in both English and Spanish are preferred, both written and verbal but not essential.
Include but are not limited to:
- Assist with overseeing subcontracted landscape team on property projects.
- Removal of invasive weeds from woodland, wetland and meadow ecologies, this will require some familiarity with native plants and care of natural landscapes.
- Remove trash and debris from public and private areas and transport to a designated central collection point on a daily basis.
- Use environmentally sensitive practices, and proactively consider impacts involved in all aspects of land care. Ensure efforts are made to reduce the operational consumption of resources and manage waste through environmentally sensitive practices.
- Care for trails, including trash pickup, basic pruning, weed removal, repairing washouts, and after-storm care. Will occasionally require safe use of a chainsaw.
- Mow, weed, prune and care for garden areas, in a horticulturally professional manner.
- Routinely clean, organize and maintain tools, equipment, and machinery. Perform basic repairs, as necessary.
- Ensure that grounds maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- Conduct routine sweeps of the property to address maintenance conditions as well as security breaches or unusual activity.
- Handle seasonal maintenance and clean-ups.
- Will assist with special events as requested.
- Recordkeeping, and data input as necessary.
- Available to assist on other NY properties, as needed.