The Grounds Manager will be responsible for the maintenance and restoration of the physical grounds of a 50+ acre garden-style apartment complex located in Westchester, NY. The grounds consists of streetscapes, green courtyards under renovation for passive recreation, a brook, a large lawn area adjoining a lake, and a lake edge under renovation.
Additionally, the grounds encompass hardscape areas like playgrounds, sidewalks, benches, pet stations, trash corrals and a storm drainage system. There are many mature trees and a planting program is under way to create a succession planting. The Grounds Manager will direct all personnel under their supervision and report directly to the General Manager; work closely with the Horticulture Supervisor; coordinate with Landscape Designer and Landscape Consultant; and ensure that the property is maintained at all times in good physical condition.
- The Grounds Manager, through direct supervision of the Landscape and Utility Department oversees all grounds staff (between 5-8 union staff members including the Horticulture Supervisor) employed at the property.
- Train and be responsible for work performed by all grounds staff members under his/her direction.
- Positively motivate on-site personnel, ensuring quality performance and retention of staff
- Adhere to all company personnel directives and procedures
- Promote positive resident relations as well as positive employee relations.
- Manage seasonal preparation processes
- Work with Inventory Manager to purchase necessary supplies and tools in accordance with company policy.
- Continually inspect all aspects of the grounds (including but not limited to the drainage system, culverts, dam, playgrounds, sidewalks, garbage corrals, plantings, lawns, etc).
- Ensure that residents are provided with a clean and well-maintained community.
- Work within the established budget and notify the General Manager of any possible variations.
- Budget planning and tracking improvement projects over the course of the year
- Complete Weekly Grounds Report
- Meet Federal, State, and local government standards.
- Compliance with local noise laws
- Ensure proper protocol is followed at all times and ensure our quality standards are achieved.
- Oversee snow removal process, including snow and ice removal from paths, sidewalks, parking lots, etc.
- Oversee Waste Management Process (i.e., garbage collection, recycling, bulk furniture removal, construction debris, Dumpster and Compactor as well as maintain the Compost Area in coordination with the Horticulture Supervisor)
- Ensure emergency weather events are handled safely and efficiently
- Oversee, provide guidance, and work closely with the Horticulture Supervisor to:
- Manage Turf with mowing and trimming
- Maintain Beds with edging, weeding, and applying mulch
- Maintain Shrubs and Small Trees based on pruning plan
- Work with Landscape Designer to create new plantings throughout property: planting shrubs small trees, perennial and annual flowers.
- Work with Arborist and Landscape Designer to create new succession tree plantings.
- Monitor trees and report any safety concerns immediately to General Manager
- Manage water needs of new trees/shrubs/turfgrass, seasonal annuals, existing plants during times of drought and irrigation system at Shoreview Lawn.
- General Maintenance of the property that includes blowing, sweeping, and raking.
- Manage fall leaf clean up including mulch mowing.
- Manage lake care and invasive plants.
- Oversee grounds related Vendors ensuring compliance with contracts and quality standards
- Manage Tree Contractor(s) for tree maintenance work and storm clean up.
- Coordination with the City of Yonkers for tree pruning and removals
- Inspect and Maintain Playgrounds to the highest safety standards and report any issues immediately to the Manager
- Keep paths, sidewalks, and parking lots clean and free of debris
- Maintain the Brook, Lake, Dam and Drains to be free from debris
- Respond to flooding issues to maintain safety of the property and avoid damage to property
- Report any safety issues immediately to the General Manager
- Ensure that all Trucks are inspected Daily before and after use
- Ensure that all vehicles and equipment are operated in a safe and responsible manner at all times
- Perform basic maintenance of landscape equipment
- Manage equipment inventory, equipment servicing, and repairs
- Maintenance of tools used for landscape work (i.e., sheers, pruners, hand saw, etc)
- Keep garages clean and free of debris and obstacles, or safety hazards
- Maintain Driver’s License in good standing
- This position reports directly to the General Manager.
- Assist the General Manager in reporting for the Grounds department
- Works in close coordination with Landscape Designer and Consultant
- Five years’ experience in Grounds management.
- 2-year Degree in Horticulture or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to use computer, office software, and communicate by email.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- NYS DEC License Category 3A
If you are interested in applying, please contact Theresa Pena at TPena@woodner.com.
The Woodner Company
Contact Name: Theresa Pena