(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: Annual-part time
Employees in this position are responsible for the hands-on maintenance of the grounds throughout the Horticulture sites operated by the Morris County Park Commission. Individuals should have an understanding of horticulture and grounds maintenance, possess the skills necessary to perform horticulture maintenance and grounds keeping tasks, and be proficient in the operation of a wide variety of landscape machinery. The employee will report to the (Assistant) Superintendent of Horticulture for the coordination of daily activities, attendance and other operational procedures.
- Physically work in all aspects of arboretum maintenance including soil preparation, planting & transplanting, mulching, watering, weeding, mowing, raking, sweeping & blowing, tree & brush cutting, chipping, trail maintenance, fence repair, and snow removal.
- Operate in a proficient manner push mowers, riding mowers, weed-whackers, backpack blowers, push blowers, garden ATV’s, tractors, pickup trucks, chainsaws, chippers, and other power equipment in accordance with MCPC safety protocols and regulatory standards.
- Utilize shovels, trowels, fan rakes, grading rakes, spades, digging forks, pickaxes, brooms, hand shears, hand saws, loppers, pole pruners & pole saws, wheelbarrows, fertilizer spreaders, garden carts, ladders, and other hand tools properly to complete assigned tasks.
- Maintain landscape machinery and make minor repairs; replenish fuel and oil, change oil and fuel filters, replace air filters and sparkplugs, sharpen mower blades and saw chains, change tires and tubes, grease fittings, etc. Identify equipment problems and report to supervisor.
- Perform minor carpentry repairs.
- Perform periodic safety checks of buildings, equipment and tools, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, emergency lights, etc.
- Maintain annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, turf, and grounds in a manner consistent with the horticulture standards of the Morris County Park Commission.
- Successfully perform the above functions and use said equipment independently without supervision.
- One year’s work as a professional groundskeeper, or equivalent experience. Knowledge of and experience in performing grounds keeping and maintenance work.
- The ability to use shovels, trowels, fan rakes, grading rakes, spades, digging forks, pickaxes, brooms, hand shears, hand saws, loppers, pole pruners & pole saws, wheelbarrows, fertilizer spreaders, garden carts, ladders, and other hand tools effectively.
- The ability to operate push mowers, riding mowers, weed-whackers, backpack blowers, push blowers, garden ATV’s, pickup trucks, chainsaws, tractors, chippers and other power equipment effectively.
- The ability to maintain landscape machinery and make minor repairs.
- The physical strength, dexterity, and coordination sufficient to perform the above functions.
- The ability to follow written and verbal instructions and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- The ability to lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Possession of a valid New Jersey driver's license.
- The ability to maintain an attendance record adequate to complete the essential functions of the position.
- The ability to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Assist with the maintenance of buildings and facilities including cleaning and mopping, restroom provisioning, painting, replacing lightbulbs, emptying trash, and performing minor repairs.
- Clean and sharpen tools, make minor repairs to tools and equipment.
- Load and unload materials and supplies.
- Advise supervisor of equipment and supply needs.
- Operate Park Commission motor vehicles to transport personnel, materials and equipment on Park Commission property and public roadways.
- Assist with carrying out standard operational procedures including event set-ups, snow removal, and other assignments.
- Assist with other arboretum maintenance activities, as required.
- Completes other tasks and projects as assigned.
Morris County Park Commission
Contact Name: Nicholas Stewart
Website: Apply Online