Start Date: 10/4/2021 Compensation: 40,000-45,000
The Hudson Yards Hell’s Kitchen Alliance (HYHK), a Business Improvement District (BID), is seeking a Groundskeeper to join our fast growing organization in one of the most dynamic neighborhoods in New York City. HYHK provides supplemental sanitation, beautification, and marketing services to Hudson Yards and a portion of Hell’s Kitchen. Unlike most other BIDs, HYHK also maintains and operates Hudson Blvd Park, a new 2-acre city park surrounding the 34th Street – Hudson Yards 7 train station.
Under the direction of the Field Manager and/or the Vice President of Operations, the main responsibilities of the Groundskeeper will be helping the Field Manager
maintain plantings and other non-horticulture related items. The ideal candidate would be a great team member, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about maintenance and horticulture and able to take on additional responsibilities and manage additional staff as the organization continues to grow.
- Perform routine horticultural maintenance activities, such as:
- Weeding, transplanting, pruning, planting, fertilizing.
- Leaf Blowing, removal of litter in planting beds.
- Lawn mowing.
- Irrigation system maintenance, winterization.
- Installing holiday decorations.
- Performing rodent control (non-poison).
- Maintain street furniture.
- Maintain park’s hose bibs and drinking fountains.
- Perform snow removal activities.·
- Perform general handyman-type maintenance.
- Perform maintenance of the park kiosk and public restrooms.
- Provide support at special events, as needed.·
- Interface with Parks Enforcement and other city agencies as needed
- Inspect sidewalk/walkway pavement and perform basic repairs.
- Provide access to park utilities, as needed (ConEd, DEP, etc.).
- Be on-call for emergencies, as needed.
- 2-3 years related work experience.
- A self-starter who communicates well and has an eye for detail.
- Must be physically capable of doing manual labor in various conditions.
- Knowledge of Rain Bird irrigation systems a plus (HYHK is willing to train).
- Ability to do minor repairs using power tools.
- Certified Citizen Pruner a plus (HYHK will pay for this certification, if desired).
- Plumbing, welding, electrical, woodwork skills a plus.
- Ability to work outside in all conditions.
- Ability to work on ladders.
- Ability to work alone.
Weekly hours: 35 (generally Monday-Friday, but flexible).
Health benefits and paid vacation included.
APPLICATIONS DUE BY SEPTEMBER 17th, 2021
TENTATIVE START OCTOBER 4th, 2021
Please submit a resume to Dan Scorse (email@example.com). Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. HYHK is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Hudson Yards Hell's Kitchen Alliance (HYHK)
Contact Name: Daniel Scorse