Full time, 40 hours per week
$22.05 /hourly (32BJ Union)
The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) is a public benefit corporation and politic arm of New York State, whose mission is to develop, maintain, and operate the infrastructure of Roosevelt Island. As part of this mandate, RIOC operates and maintains several facilities including the Cultural Center, Sportspark, and the Motorgate Garage; as well as other outdoor spaces such as Firefighter’s Field, Southpoint Park, and Lighthouse Park, among other facilities and locations. Infrastructure operations also includes the Aerial Tramway, and a free Red Bus Service that stops at various points on Roosevelt Island; and a Public Safety Department that serves as the community’s first responders in coordination with the New York City Police Department. RIOC’s workforce is also comprised of union workers from Local 210, 32BJ, PSOB, and other administrative staff.
The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation is a subdivision of the State of New York. The corporation is entrusted with developing and preserving the properties and open spaces on Roosevelt Island. RIOC is currently seeking a qualified individual with a great personality and a passion to assist with the preservation and maintenance of the island. The island consists of several parks, open spaces, natural sports fields, and playgrounds. Under the guidance of the Director of Horticulture & Grounds, the groundskeeper will play a critical role in the overall maintenance of the island.
- Perform all aspects of landscaping, including gardening, cultivating, fertilizing, propagating, seeding, preparing grounds for flowerbeds, cleaning ditches, trims, pruning, laying sod, removal of trees and large shrubs, irrigate gardens and lawns, waxing floors and assisting in transportation of supplies.
- Execute maintenance on power lawn mowers and maintenance of all equipment including oil changes, lubricating and necessary adjustments.
- Operate cars, trucks, and other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties and/or operate heavy-duty motorized equipment on a full-time basis.
- Maintain upkeep of all fields, lines, courts, and playgrounds.
- Remove leaves, snow and ice from roadways and sidewalks.
- Actively participate in the maintenance of all recreation areas.
- Discard of any unwanted furniture, as well as arranging all furniture in offices or buildings.
- Inspect loads for any dangerous or flammable objects, such as hot ashes and other combustible materials.
- Set up and breakdown folding tables, chairs, barricades, or other objects as assigned.
- Clean offices, recreation rooms, restrooms, locker rooms, mop all floors, wax all floors, and wash all walls, replenishing any diminished supplies as needed.
- Personally, responsible for assigned tools and equipment.
- Individual must demonstrate a continuous effort to improve operations.
- Decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality service.
- Self-starting individual with a positive attitude; possessing the capability of working alone or in a group to accomplish goals.
- Informs supervisor of unsafe and uncollectible refuse.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to use the following tools:
- Cultivators – Soil pulverizers; tillers
- Draglines – drag brooms; drag leveling bars
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors; hand spreaders; salt spreaders
- Graders or land levelers; landscape rakes
- Chainsaws and other tree trimming equipment
- Lawnmowers – riding and manual
- Rakes – Artificial groomers, iron rakes, turf sweepers
- Shovels – dirt shovels, snow shovels, sod lifters
- Abilities required for this position:
- Arm-Hand Steadiness – The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm/hand in one position
- Control Precision – The ability to adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle quickly and repeatedly to exact positions
- Manual Dexterity – The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate or assemble objects
- Near Vision – The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet)
- Oral Comprehension – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- Static Strength – The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects. (Lift up to 50lbs., occasionally)
- Extent Flexibility – The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms or legs.
- Oral Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Work effectively in all weather conditions
- Must have a flexible schedule to work AM & PM shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Mandatory OT may be required.
- Ability to work in a face paced environment effectively.
- Physically able to stand and walk most of the day.
- Capable of working as a part of a team but also a self-starter when required.
- Well-groomed and properly attired, professional & positive attitude.
Strong communication and listening skills.
- Dependable and able to facilitate special events when scheduled.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Position requires that the individual have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience within the grounds keeping field or a related field
- Position also requires the individual to have a valid driver’s license with a clean record, if operating department vehicles and equipment
What we offer: A highly competitive benefits package, including: health, dental and vision, paid holidays, sick and vacation days, commuter benefits, retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, EAP, LTD and Life Insurance Programs, an exciting work environment with a beautiful view of Manhattan and Long Island City.
How to Apply: Interested candidates to forward resume to: HRstaffing@rioc.ny.gov subject line should read “Groundskeeper”
RIOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on candidates based on race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status or any other protected characteristic.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant has been extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988.
Roosevelt Island Operating Corp.
Contact Name: Leonela Startseva