Compensation: $38,000 - $42,000
The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade.
- Clean all paths of plant debris, trash, and litter on a daily basis.
- Empty trash cans and replace bags in designated areas; bring full bags to trash collection area.
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and attention to detail of all pathways, lawns, gardens, and park features such as benches, drinking fountains, etc.
- Provide seasonal grounds duties: soil replacement, leaf raking, snow and ice removal, etc.
- Assist Horticulture staff and volunteers in planting, weeding, watering, and basic horticultural care of gardens and lawns as directed.
- Work closely with Operations staff during snow emergencies and during special events.
- Provide general assistance to Conservancy staff as needed.
- Minimum 1 year of professional landscaping ﬁeld experience.
- Work well with a team or alone and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Full-time; Non-exempt
- 5 days per week; 40 hours per week; schedule includes one weekend day
- Hours generally 9am to 5pm, but flexible
- Competitive salary and benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, 401k, monthly metro card
The Battery Conservancy requires all employees be vaccinated and therefore, new hires must show proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Groundskeeper” in the subject. Please include details of availability in your cover letter. No phone calls, please.
TBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants.
The Battery Conservancy
Contact Name: Sean Kiely