The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade.
- Full-time; Non-exempt
- 5 days per week; 40 hours per week
- Schedule 7am to 3pm, Tuesday to Saturday
- Annual salary: $42,000-$45,000
- Benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, 401k
- Clean all paths of plant debris, trash, and litter on a daily basis
- Empty trash cans and replace bags in designated areas; bring full bags to the trash collection area
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and attention to detail of all pathways, lawns, gardens, and park features such as benches, drinking fountains, etc.
- Prepares area for new turf, seeds lawns and lays sod
- Operates grounds maintenance equipment like lawn mowers, aerators, detachers, leaf blowers, trimmers
- Provide seasonal grounds duties: soil replacement, leaf raking, snow and ice removal, etc.
- Assist Horticulture staff and volunteers in planting, weeding, watering, and basic horticultural care of gardens and lawns as directed
- Work closely with Operations staff during snow emergencies and during special events.
- Provide general assistance to Conservancy staff as needed
- Experience in lawn care and maintenance is preferred
- Ability to use and operate grounds maintenance equipment necessary to perform assigned tasks
- Ability to follow directions and work well with a team or alone
- Excellent time management skills to complete tasks within designated time frame
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Groundskeeper” in the subject. No phone calls, please.
TBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants.
The Battery Conservancy