(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Locust Grove Estate is a not-for-profit museum, education center, and public garden established in 1979 and located in Poughkeepsie, New York - the heart of the Hudson Valley. Locust Grove manages 20 historic buildings on 250 acres of protected open space, and welcomes nearly 100,000 annual visitors. The Head Gardener is the primary staff person responsible for maintaining vegetable and flower gardens restored to their early 20th-century appearance. Start date: Spring 2023.
- Plan, develop, implement, and maintain landscape gardens and grounds, including perennial, annual, and vegetable gardens, and landscape beds at the Visitor Center
- Develop annual budget and work plan for Horticulture Department
- Train, supervise, encourage, and assess garden volunteers, interns, and contractors
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Facilities Committee to establish and implement safety and risk management programs and training
- Research, plan, implement, and document garden restoration projects
- Maintain and operate the Greenhouse
- Collaborate with professional staff to develop, organize, and implement horticulture programs, publications, and tours to increase site visitation and rentals through the use of the gardens and grounds
- Work closely with Executive Director and the Facilities team on grounds, building, and infrastructure needs
- Coordinate maintenance projects with Buildings and Grounds Manager
- Effectively work with and communicate with other staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Advanced degree preferred, preferably in a related field such as Horticulture, Plant Science, or Landscape Architecture. Continuing education in professional horticulture and gardening a plus
- A minimum of four years’ horticultural experience with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, garden and landscape maintenance/management, and identification
- Training and experience in horticultural best practices
- Widely versed and current in horticultural and botanical fields (e.g., pollinators, invasive plants, native plants, plant disease, Integrated Pest Management, etc.)
- Experience with construction management and the creation and renovation of gardens
- Ability to engage effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including donors, visitors, Board Members, staff and volunteers
- Ability to represent Locust Grove externally by leading tours and giving presentations for a variety of audiences
- Ability to work long hours, holidays, and weekends as necessary
- Demonstrated ability with computers, Microsoft software programs (Word/Excel/Outlook), social media platforms, and horticulture-related software
- Ability to operate electric equipment and power tools
- Team-player, willing to collaborate on all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations, programs, development, and communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Work Environment: This job operates in outdoor weather conditions, as well as a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, laptops, phones, mobile devices, photocopiers, as well as gas and electric power tools and equipment.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following: climb ladders and lift weights up to 50 pounds, sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel.
Compensation: $45,000 - $50,000/year depending on experience. Generous health insurance coverage, vacation leave, flexible schedule. Full-time (40 hours/week), year-round position.
To apply: Please submit cover letter and CV to: Gardener Search, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Locust Grove Estate
Contact Name: Kenneth Snodgrass