The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild The Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticulture planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade.
The Horticulture intern position is full time from June – October. As an employee of The Battery Conservancy, you will be expected to work as directed by overall operations management.
- Care for extensive naturalistic herbaceous perennial gardens, trees, shrubs, bulbs, and turf.
- Perform routine maintenance including but limited to: watering, weeding, planting, pruning, propagating and transplanting of perennials and mulching as directed.
- Serve as an ambassador of The Battery Conservancy, answering the park visitor’s questions about horticulture, history and design of the park, and general park information.
- Work closely with volunteers and help lead events.
- Stage tools and equipment for the daily horticulture tasks.
- Debris and trash removal.
- Storm and snow management.
- Operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Perform other tasks as needed by the operations team.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Experience working with volunteers a plus.
- Perform heavy physical work on a daily basis. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Willingness to work as part of a team or alone, in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Basic arboriculture skills.
Salary $16.00 an hour
Includes a monthly metro card
Position starts immediately
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include Horticultural Aide position in subject line.
No phone calls, please.