Start Date: immediate Compensation: Salary based on experience
Atlantic Nurseries of Dix Hills, New York is a leading re-wholesale nursery and grower. We are known for our broad selection of unusual plant material and for providing exceptional quality, service, and knowledge to discerning professionals. As both a re-wholesaler and grower, our operation is quite diverse. Our customer base includes landscape designers/contractors, public parks, botanical gardens, and retail garden centers throughout the New York tri-state area.
Atlantic Nurseries is seeking a horticultural buyer who is responsible for the procurement of annuals to accomplish company goals regarding profitable seasonal inventory levels, turns, gross margins, quality and shrink. Process includes developing a purchasing plan which considers trends, inhouse growing, supply chain and market demand to successfully achieve Atlantic Nurseries’ sales objectives.
Become a vital part of a team who loves plants and loves to get the job done right!
You take pride in everything you do and so do we. Come grow with us in a cooperative environment where your ideas are valued and work as part of a dedicated team.
- Prepare and submit bid proposals/master orders to vendors to procure annuals for the upcoming season. Plan weekly delivery timetables accordingly through the season.
- Create weekly purchase orders in accordance with vendor commitments or restocking needs. Clearly communicate with the receiving team about arrival and placement. Problem solve as necessary when issues arise.
- Provide direction for product merchandising.
- Collaborate with in-house growing department to plan optimum product mix, including new & unusual annuals.
- Work with our sales team to fulfill custom orders/special requests for annuals for our customers.
- Responsible for making sure price points for annuals are consistent and in line with the company’s markup philosophy.
- Make sure all existing and newly created items have appropriate descriptions for signage.
- Visit vendors regularly to inspect existing and future crops to make sure quality is in line with the company’s standards.
- Organize/participate in general employee training sessions for annuals.
- 3-5-years of buying experience for annuals.
- Must enjoy working in a team environment yet be highly self-motivated and effective at working independently.
- Ability to develop a purchasing plan based on previous sales history and industry/consumer trends.
- Strong math and financial skills are required; familiarity with executing a buying plan within an open to buy system is desired.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office and a familiarity with POS systems.
- Confident communication, good organization, creative problem solving, and excellent time management skills are essential.
Atlantic Nurseries, Dix Hills, NY
Contact Name: Katherine Biene Schaefer