Horticultural Manager at Organic Estate
Private residence in Southern Fairfield County is seeking to hire a full-time Horticultural Manager with a minimum of 3 years of estate gardening experience, a horticultural degree, or equivalent. This is a rare and unique, year-round opportunity. All horticulture is entirely organic, aiming for best practices.
The property is set on 15 acres including woodlands, wildflower meadow, small orchards, diverse edible and ornamental gardens, wildlife habitat, chicken coop, and greenhouses. A small team of gardeners, passionate about organics and ecological gardening, currently maintain the property with the owners. The property is a habitat for bees, migratory birds, and various wildlife. A greenhouse houses tropical and aromatic plants maintained with entirely organic practices.
This position is a combination of both fieldwork and administrative work while supervising the current horticultural team. Excellent working conditions. The ideal applicant will have a well-rounded horticultural background including experience with the following:
• Supervising assistant gardeners and contracted landscaping teams
• Garden planning:
—- Seed and bulb ordering
—- Propagation and seed saving
—- Annual purchasing and installation
—- Seed Saving
—- Composting and Compost Tea
—- Maintaining accurate plant inventories and labels
—- Recycling and mulching
• Plant staking techniques
• Scheduling of daily activities
• Pruning and perennial care
• Native and tropical plant identification
• Greenhouse maintenance
• Seasonal containers- ornamental and food
• Woodland & meadow management
• Tropical plants and rare specimens
• Research and reports using traditional and contemporary best practices
• Herb harvesting and processing
• Food preservation
• Elementary soil and water analysis
• Networking with gardeners, farmers, and scientists
This is a year-round, full-time position with competitive pay DOE, available immediately. Must have the ability to lift 40 pounds. Fluency in some Spanish helpful. Candidate located in Westchester or Fairfield Counties preferred. Must have reliable transportation.
Please send resume with relevant work experience and recent references to email@example.com.