Horticultural Techician 2
Compensation: $43,108 + $3,026
Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park in Oyster Bay, NY is looking for a passionate, skilled horticulturist to work along side a team to maintain 2 ½ acres of tropical and sub tropical plants in two greenhouse complexes. Job Duties of Hort Tech 2 are:
- Selected candidate must possess and maintain a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License as a term and condition of employment.
- Selected candidate must obtain a Pesticide Technician’s License (category 3A and 3C) within 6 months of appointment and maintain it as a term and condition of employment. Selected candidate must upgrade to a commercial applicator’s license within two years of appointment and maintain it as a term and condition of employment.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor and to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff and with park patrons. Ability to read, comprehend and prepare written materials.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and use landscape/garden equipment and small hand tools
- Employee must be qualified and medically cleared to wear a respirator and have knowledge of good safety practices which must be utilized.
- Preference will be given to individuals with progressive experience in the care of tropical and subtropical trees and shrubs, annuals and perennials and who can perform such work with little direct supervision.
The hort tech 2 duties and responsibilities include all aspects of the care and curation of a wide variety of greenhouse plants including orchids, house plants, ferns, begonias, camellias, cacti and succulents and various tropical plants from all over the world. Pruning, planting, watering, transplanting and general care of greenhouse plants will be part of a daily routine as well as growing and installing greenhouse and bedding plant displays.
Either 1. four years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work, which includes plant pest and disease detection and control. This experience must include one year of supervisory experience;*
Or 2. an associate's or higher-level degree and two years of technical experience in horticulture, plant propagation, nursery, or greenhouse work, which includes plant pest and disease detection and control;*
Or 3. a bachelor's or higher-level degree in horticulture, agronomy, forestry, or an agricultural related field.*
Selected candidate must complete CPR/AED training within the probationary period and must maintain the certification.
For more information call Vincent A. Simeone at 516-419-0238