Work hours: 2 pm - 9 pm Varies
Hours 20-40 hours weekly (Seasonal need-based)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position Summary: Furnish guidance and assistance to Mercy Home’s individuals and staff to ensure the success of the Plant Grow Give urban farming program. Provide therapeutic opportunities for Mercy Home program participants to participate in the upkeep and maintenance of urban farm sites and gardens. Represent the Agency by promoting and modeling the mission and core values of the Sisters of Mercy and Mercy Home.
General Purpose: Facilitate the acquisition of gardening and urban farming knowledge as our individuals pursue meaningful vocational training, therapeutic and community integration activities. Provide for the productivity and efficiency of Plant Grow Give urban farm sites. Represent the agency in a positive light abiding by our mission and core values in all aspects of the position.
Role Qualifications: High School Diploma or GED. Horticultural therapy training and experience required. Horticultural therapy certification from an accredited program strongly preferred. Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, farm management or a related field preferred. Significant background and experience in horticulture or urban farming. Knowledge of how to sustain the facilities of productive garden sites including but not limited to garden box construction and repair, greenhouse upkeep and tool and materials maintenance. Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills. Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted NYS Driver’s License. Must be creative, enthusiastic, highly motivated and have a passion for urban farming and horticulture. Experience providing instruction and care to with people with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Plant, water and maintain Plant Grow Give farm sites to ensure maximum productivity of all vegetables and flowering plants
- Provide instruction to Mercy Home individuals and staff about proper horticultural practices through regular workshops at farm sites
- Prepare for horticultural therapy sessions and break down afterward
- Coordinate with Mercy Home programs and facilities staff for proper maintenance of farm sites
- Accompany individuals to donate produce to local community groups to help facilitate community integration and the fostering of relationships between Mercy Home residents and their neighbors
- Represent Mercy Home and Plant Grow Give at farmers’ markets and similar community events
- Provide urban farming and gardening expertise during planning meetings for Plant Grow Give and other horticulture-related special projects at Mercy Home
- Assist in fundraising and outreach initiatives for the Plant Grow Give program in collaboration with the development department
- Complete all paperwork in compliance with agency policies and procedures as they relate to each program served.
- Other duties necessary for the upkeep and productivity of Plant Grow Give farm sites and expansion of the program as required
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to bend, climb stairs, crouch/squat, kneel, reach with hands and arms, twist, walk, talk, and hear. The employee must also rake, weed, ho, and plant as necessary. The employee will be required to regularly lift and/or move items of regular weight.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and will come in direct contact with all employees and the public. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate.
Mercy Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
The employee is expected to adhere to all Agency policies.
SALARY: To be discussed