Horticultural Therapist/ Horticulturist/ Rehabilitation-Vocational Instructor
The full-time Horticultural Therapist/ Horticulturist/ Rehabilitation-Vocational Instructor will work in an established program with women or men age 18+ who are currently incarcerated. The programs take place both on weekends and weekdays. The GreenHouse curriculum combines horticultural therapy, classroom instruction in botany, horticulture and landscape design, and year round hands-on vocational training. The applicant will be part of a dynamic team which include the program Director, Program Managers, Department of Correction staff, Horticultural Therapists, and a team that consists of people with various related professional backgrounds.
- Develop the program’s current and long-term program curriculum by leading all instructions, including:
- Proficiency in structuring and facilitating horticultural therapy sessions and vocational/academic as well as life-skills sessions
- Researching and creating supportive materials for lesson plans Influence operational excellence and collaboration:
- Weekly and monthly reporting of relevant data to The Hort and the Department of Correction (DOC)
- Collection of student data and evaluations and passing on to Discharge Planner
- Shopping for program, such as plants, workshop materials, books, tools etc. and following through in a timely manner with recording keeping of purchases
- Assistance with preparing and giving presentations about program at conferences or to funders
- Other tasks not listed may apply
Ideally registered as horticultural therapist (HTR) or holding certificate in horticultural or eco-therapy. Alternatively, applicants must have strong gardening knowledge combined with extensive work experience servicing youth at risk/ individuals with mental illness or history of substance use/individuals who are incarcerated. A non-judgmental attitude towards people from all routes of life, being a team player, and the ability to understand and accept the implications of providing services in jail are crucial. The applicant must have demonstrated experience with administrative tasks, data entry/ evaluation, and be able to work independently with the highest level of professionalism. Flexibility with the work schedule is necessary. Being bilingual is a plus. A “pull up your sleeve”, “can do” attitude with a sense of humor is desirable.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter (include salary requirements) and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Horticultural Therapist/ Horticulturist/ Vocational-Rehabilitation Instructor” in the subject line.
No phone calls