The Trustees of Reservations
Full-time, Seasonal (9-months)
Summary of Position:
The Horticulture Assistant is a unique position combining both horticultural skills and people skills. The Horticulture Assistant reports to the Horticulturist at Naumkeag in Stockbridge, MA. This is a full-time 9-month position and includes at least one weekend day. The Horticulture Assistant helps maintain all beds and plants at Naumkeag, with a focus on the cut-flower farm. The person in this position is responsible for all aspects of the pristine beauty and revenue generation of the cut-flower farm including: bed design and ordering of seeds, plants and supplies; propagation, bed prep, planting and maintenance; community outreach, marketing, education and interpretation. All aspects of the position are equally important for the success of the flower farm.
- Assists the Horticulturist in the planting and maintenance of the designed landscape and living collections at Naumkeag
- Leads the planning, planting, maintenance, and harvesting of Naumkeag’s cut flower operation; tasks include but are not limited to fertilization, weeding, dead-heading, irrigation, and related upkeep
- Responsible for planning, bed prep, planting, maintenance, and harvesting of ½ acre pumpkin patch
- Responsible for task assignment and supervision of interns, volunteers, and contractors as directed by the Horticulturist
- Must keep detailed electronic inventory of all propagules, plants, and cut stems
- Assist the Horticulturist with administrative tasks and planning
- Assists site staff with cut flower garden marketing, education and interpretation efforts and materials
- Actively engages with and provides assistance to garden visitors
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Additional duties as assigned by the Horticulturist
- Must be personable and professional in community and onsite engagement relationships under the direction of the Horticulturist
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on experience plus 1 year of related horticulture schooling OR 3 years of hands-on experience in gardening, farming, greenhouse operations, or cut flower marketing
- Must be able to identify and communicate issues with equipment, supplies, pests and diseases to Horticulturist and other site staff
- Demonstrated knowledge in the identification and care of popular herbaceous flower crops
- Familiarity with general landscape maintenance practices, including the use of applicable hand tools and small power equipment
- Willingness to interact with garden visitors and provide relevant horticultural information and assistance
- Ability to deliver a greenhouse and garden crop on time and on budget
- Able to handle the physical demands of the job and lift heavy objects up to 40 lbs
- Able to work in a variety of weather conditions and with a variety of insect pests.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office applications
- Must work some nights and at least one weekend day
- A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record as outlined in The Trustees’ driving policy
- A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI)
- Pesticide license encouraged
- Reports to the Horticulturist at Naumkeag in Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
To apply via the company website, click here.
Or send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The Trustees of Reservations:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.