Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is at the beginning of a long path toward building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive (EDI) institution. We are looking for individuals, at all levels of the institution, who are interested in joining us on this journey of intentionality and public accountability. This path broadens our workforce (board, staff, volunteers), expands our artist selection and acquisition practice as well as strengthens our internal and external communication systems, networks and norms.
Grounds For Sculpture is seeking a full time Horticulture Assistant to join the horticulture team. Under the direction of the Horticulturist. The Horticulture Assistant will be responsible to provide logistical support to Horticulture projects and programs while maintaining gardening and grounds responsibilities. The position requires working with and supervising contractors and volunteers and engaging the public.
- Responsible for Maintaining the park to GFS standard of excellence for horticulture, problem solve to address issues and communicate issues to the Horticulturist.
- Pruning, planting, watering, clean-up, and various gardening and grounds duties all other horticulture and grounds duties.
- Run, repair, and supervise irrigation system with direction from Horticulturist.
- Assist with supervision and communication of contractors and volunteers.
- Provide mentorship to interns through support and sharing of skills, knowledge, and experience. Always striving to be a positive role model.
- Assist in sculpture installation needs with Exhibitions Department and scheduling/performing required projects.
- Assist with research, coordination, and logistics of horticulture projects.
- Serve as an ambassador for Grounds For Sculpture to help foster a culture of inclusion for all members, donors, volunteers, and guests.Assist in Greenhouse and nursery stock management.
- Lead and facilitate garden tours and assist with special events.
- Responsible for creating and presenting Horticulture related workshops in collaboration with the
- Education and Engagement team.
- Continuous monitoring of park and “Sculpture Along the Way” to identify needs, safety concerns, and plant health issues Landscaper now care for this.
- Assist in training of staff and docents on GFS’s living assets.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Scientific understanding of horticulture discipline
- Able to work independently or in a highly collaborative environment, embracing teamwork and high productivity
- Comfortable speaking and presenting to large groups
- Resourceful in completing projects in time/cost effective manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the demonstrated ability to represent an organization, both internally and externally, with the highest level of integrity, professionalism, confidentiality, and diplomacy is also required
- Ability to build relationships with volunteers, staff and guests, and be a passionate advocate for the organization
- Minimum of 2 years of horticulture experience
- Minimum Associates degree or certification from qualified program
- NJ Pesticide License preferred
- Drivers License required
- Demonstrate respect and inclusiveness to all employees, embracing differences
- Experience with commercial irrigation systems and ability to master use
- Knowledge of horticulture best practices
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must be comfortable working outside in all weather conditions
- Occasional weekends and evenings required
GFS is stronger for the diverse ideas, lived experiences, passions and skill sets of our staff. To that end, we offer equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre not-for-profit sculpture park, arboretum, and museum, founded by the late artist and philanthropist Seward Johnson. Featuring nearly 300 contemporary sculptures by renowned and emerging artists in a beckoning landscape, Grounds For Sculpture combines art and nature to surprise, inspire, and engage all visitors in the artist’s act of invention. In addition to its permanent collection, Grounds For Sculpture offers rotating special exhibitions in its six indoor galleries, rich educational programs, and dynamic family events. Located in Hamilton, New Jersey, Grounds For Sculpture.