(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Broadway Mall Association is seeking a part-time horticulture associate. The horticulture associate is an integral member of a small team working to improve the health and beauty of a public green space with over 1,000 mature trees and shrubs and more than 100 small perennial gardens.
This is an exciting growth opportunity for the right candidate, with great flexibility and learning potential. We welcome inquiries from people new to the field and old hands looking for a new challenge. Training will be provided as needed, including training on our asset management platform.
Hours and Compensation
Two to three days per week, with possibility of additional days for experienced candidates. Position may be seasonal or year-round. We will work with the successful candidate to develop an appropriate work schedule.
Pay is $20-$27 per hour, based on experience. Benefits include paid holidays, sick leave, optional 401(k) plan, and pre-tax transit benefits.
Duties include but are not limited to a wide variety of fine gardening and landscape management tasks, installing and maintaining ecologically-focused plantings, and assisting with volunteer days.
Office tasks may include updating records, assisting with seasonal plant orders and contracts, recording site conditions in BMA’s asset management program, and other similar duties.
- Enthusiasm for working in an urban landscape is essential!
- A positive and friendly demeanor. Ability to interact thoughtfully with the general public and landscaping and public works crews.
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Excellent observation skills and keen attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to work outside in all weather.
- 1+ years of professional gardening experience in perennial maintenance and planting or relevant educational experience.
- Working knowledge of plant identification, plant names and culture (soil preparation, planting, pruning, weeding, etc.)
- Interest in ecological landscape design and management.
- Strong computer skills and facility with Excel, Word, and Google Drive.
To Apply Please email a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Horticulture Associate.’
References will be requested. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
About the Broadway Mall Association
The Broadway Malls are a 10-acre public parkland. The malls from 70th Street to 168th Street are planted and stewarded by the Broadway Mall Association (BMA), a non-profit community organization, in partnership with NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. The Broadway Mall Association requires Covid 19 vaccination for all employees. The organization will consider accommodations for disability and religious-based reasons.
The Broadway Mall Association is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and organizational needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Broadway Mall Association
Contact Name: Jennifer Shaffer