Horticulture Field Manager
Start Date: 4/20/22 Compensation: $56,000 - $61,000
The Horticultural Society of New York is seeking an energetic and dedicated Horticulture Field Manager to oversee garden maintenance and projects in a timely and professional manner while managing a work crew consisting of field supervisors, gardeners and assistant gardeners. This position will manage contract proposals, renewals, and ensure the successful completion of projects.
The mission of the Horticultural Society of New York is to sustain the vital connection between people and plants. Our social service and public programs educate and inspire, growing a broad community that values horticulture for the many benefits it brings to our environment, our neighborhoods, and our lives.
- Lead/coordinate a field crew performing horticultural maintenance and installations
- Troubleshoot logistical challenges and general conflicts as they arise
- Driving vehicle to site
- Vehicle care
- Organization of vehicle to make sure team is prepared for jobsite
- Responsible for taking care of inventory of tools, supplies, and uniforms
- Make sure to coordinate with the Assistant Director of Landscaping Services to order appropriate tools and supplies when necessary
- Assist with horticultural and landscape projects’ logistics send team schedules provide input/feedback on logical improvement Survey condition of sites document status of job site communicate improvements needed or issues
- Take photos of all sites to document progress and for social media or promotion use
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Horticulture and the Director of Horticulture,put together contract proposals for prospective clients.
- Communicate with clients on site to assure tasks are completed as needed to the client’s satisfaction.
- Create landscape designs for existing contracts and contract proposals
- Receipts, timesheets, and other relevant paperwork as necessary
- Create/update site maps
- Improve and create sustainability practices/initiatives
- Aid Program Development Manager with communication to partner organizations
- Help with outreach
- Attend meetings to further relationships with the Hort’s workforce development program.
- Help with administrative tasks such as timesheets and agreements with partner organizations
- Horticulturist/gardener with 3 or more years of hands-on experience designing, building, and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and urban farms
- Horticulture Certificate, 4 year degree, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of green infrastructure design and implementation
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to take initiative and perform follow-up
- Excellent computer skills
- Valid NYS Drivers License and clean driving record
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at once
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
All Full-Time Regular staff are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Eligible on day 1 of employment to enroll in The Hort’s medical plan. The Hort pays 50% of the highest individual premium applicable to all plans
- Eligible to enroll in dental and vision (employee pays the full premium)
- 10k term life insurance policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days in year one, 20 days thereafter- Accrue up to 48 hours of paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked)
- Accrue up to 24 hours of personal leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Transit Benefits through WageWorks
Additional Details- Rate: $56,000 - $61,000- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular- Reports To: Director of Horticulture
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com with ‘Horticulture Field Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process