Start Date: March 3, 2020 Compensation: $16.00 hr.
The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild the Battery and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade. The Horticulture Intern position is seasonal, full-time, non-exempt and reports to operations management.
- Work with horticulture team to care for extensive naturalistic herbaceous perennial gardens, trees, shrubs, bulbs, and turf.
- Perform routine maintenance including but limited to: watering, weeding, planting, pruning, propagating and transplanting of perennials and mulching.
- Serve as an ambassador of The Battery Conservancy, answering the park visitor’s questions about horticulture, history and design of the park, and general park information.
- Work closely with volunteers and volunteer groups.
- Stage tools and equipment for daily horticulture tasks.
- Debris and trash removal. Storm and snow management as needed.
- Operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Participate in Horticulture Intern curriculum including workshop planning and leading.
- Assist with major annual events.
- Minimum of one year professional landscaping field experience and/or horticultural school.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Perform heavy physical work on a daily basis. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Willingness to work as part of a team or alone, in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Basic arboriculture skills.
Position Starts: March 3, 2020
Position Ends: October31, 2020
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Horticulture Intern” in the subject. No phone calls, please. TBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to allapplicants.
The Battery Conservancy